Vision Game Engine pricing

Started by
20 comments, last by hughiecoles 14 years, 8 months ago
hello everyone, I am looking for a game engine and have chosen the Trinigy's Vision Game Engine. Unfortunately the price is not public for individuals. We are individuals currently and haven't made an organization for the time being. I would like to ask if some of you could tell me what is the price approximately. I know there are several prices according to the chosen platform (PC, XBox360 , PS3 , etc...) but I would like to hear any numbers anyway, you know... I have to decide if we are able to get it but there is no public information about the approximate price. So please anyone, if you know anything about it please share it with me. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Contact them and ask for a quote. They clearly state their pricing is individual.

But I get a feeling that this might not be a hobby development engine and they only cooperate with established companies.
I have already asked.Still no answer. That's why I wanted to learn its approximate price from someone who own it. I know it is a professional game engine. We are serious team but still haven't made a company. We will do that eventually but first we are looking for making the game and after that looking for publishers.
There is no approximate price with these kind of engines. They don't say the price is variable to be awkward or secretive, they do it because the price really varies enormously.

For example, the Unreal 2 Engine officially cost $350,000 for one platform, plus $50,000 per additional platform. The Unreal 3 Engine probably costs even more, typically. There is at least one developer who got a license with no money up front at all - pure royalties - and I'll bet there are other developers who got all kinds of odd deals inbetween, designed to suit them, Unreal, the game and everything else.

So if anyone did share a price, it wouldn't really tell you anything about how much you would need to pay, and that's even assuming you could rely on information which could not legally be given without breaking an NDA. In other words, anyone who gives you an answer is either defying an NDA and risking legal action, just to be a nice guy to someone on "Teh Intarweb" that he doesn't even know, or he's just giving you some old pony he made up on the spot because it's fun to BS to people. I'll leave you to decide which is most likely.
Quote:Original post by devmaster
I have already asked.Still no answer.

While that may seem unprofessional from their side, it is not too surprising. It will be quite obvious to them that you don't really fit their core business interests. Professional middleware developers get a lot of requests from hobby developers, and in order to reduce the workload, some have chosen to either not respond to such queries, or to send a generic 'no interest' email. Usually, you need an established company with a track record in the industry and a minimum annual turnover in order to even be considered as a potential customer.

Quote:Original post by devmaster
We are serious team but still haven't made a company. We will do that eventually but first we are looking for making the game and after that looking for publishers.

That's usually the point where any business related communication with a professional engine developer will find an abrupt end. Depending on how they operate, they might not even be legally allowed to deal with you, because you are not a registered business.

I would suggest you stay with free or indie-targeted engines at this time.
Thanks for your replies guys.
I know there is no exact answer anyone could tell. Anyway I am not seeking what is the final price. I also don't want to break any rules and get me or anyone else in trouble sharing information that is no supposed to be discussed.
I am just curious for the time being. Of course I couldn't pay $100 000 + for software technology for the time being. Let me ask the question in another way. Is the price for that kind of engines (in this case Vision Game Engine) more than $100 000 ? Is it about 200 000? or it is about $1 000 000 ?? Do you catch what I am trying to find for an answer? Just assurance for myself. Am I able to pay for it or no. So if someone could tell is it in the range 0 ~ 100 000 $ or more than 100 000 I would decide that on the fly.
@Yann , there should be starting point for any team in the world. There are no established teams who make their first title. But this title is going to be published anyway because if not why did that team even start doing it anyway?
Many of indies such as me doesn't hurry registering a company. Because if registered they should start paying taxes immediately. In my case we are working on the title like people doing their hobby. When we finish the game (it will probably take 3 - 4 years, because we are learning the technology while making the game) we will register immediately a company and will start searching for publishers who will definitely pay attention to us , because they will see a working team , they will see a good title .
I have bought some game engines from GarageGames. So I am already in the business. Now , at this moment , not indeed, but some sunny day after 4 or 5 years I and my team will be in the business.
I need another kind of technology because I have decided to move to another engine for any reason. And I think these forums here are a great starting point for searching because here with this great community I know there are people who are in the game development and could share some thoughts with the beginners. So if the price for the Vision game engine is too big I will definitely move to another engine.
Like with anything that doesn't advertise price, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".
The Trinigy guys (maker of the Vision engine) once had an indie offer: pay 100€ upfront, develop the game, pay the full amount when you've got financing. But I don't know if this offer still holds true.

Expect the final price to be maybe a tenth of the UE2 prices named above. But as others stated before: exact prices do vary widely. So talk to them to learn more. And if the don't react, move on.
----------
Gonna try that "Indie" stuff I keep hearing about. Let's start with Splatter.
Quote:Original post by Codeka
Like with anything that doesn't advertise price, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".

Not necessarily.

There is also the: "we'll take whatever you can afford" business model. It's based on the "bird in hand..." approach.

When dealing with a volatile market, rather than asking for huge sums upfront, then not getting paid because customers go bankrupt before you can collect, it's often better to charge something you know (hence the registered business requirement, which can have its finances checked) the customer can afford right now.

In this particular case it makes sense, and the above mentioned pricing sounds reasonable. But the small upfront sum may also indicate that such support could be dropped, since EUR100 might not be worth the processing cost, and not enough products make it to profitability.

Quote:There are no established teams who make their first title.

Established individuals count as well, even if the team is new.
We used to use this engine in an indie project, I was not the one setting it up, but we were all amateurs, so a lot of the comments above that they are only interested in well-established companies surely wasn't true at that time. In fact, they were very patient with us, in the sense that they gave us a lot of support on issues we really should've been able to have worked out ourselves. Of course I don't know how much they changed from there on, but I can't imagine it being THAT much.

I don't know what kind of an e-mail you sent them (that they did not respond to), but I guess it helps to be specific in the kind of deal you want to make. So for example, state you want to make a title for platforms x and y, at first you want a license for 6 months to develop a prototype, with no public releases, and from there on you may or may not license the engine for at least 2 more years, with the option of prolonging, and such and such plans on releasing, etc.

Worst case, the e-mail you sent them now was as general as 'what does it cost to use your engine?', and in that case I'm not surprised you don't get a response. If you do some research into how licensing works, and can ask specific questions, I'm quite sure they will be able to (and willing to) give you an offer. After all, they need to make money too :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement