Script Builder Includes

Started by
2 comments, last by WitchLord 14 years, 8 months ago
So I've got a customized ScriptBuilder to allow for "absolute paths" relative to the executable. And I know you mentioned a more unified way to allow for file paths to load from memory or any other possible location. What are your thoughts on this, is that in the near future?
==============================
A Developers Blog | Dark Rock Studios - My Site
Advertisement
Near future? Yes. How near? Not sure.

I was planning on making this improvement as part of my game engine, but it's been a while since I've had a chance to work in it. Right now most of the time goes into getting AngelScript 2.17.0 ready, the rest of the time goes into the next release of BMFont.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Ah awesome, looking forward to 2.17, certainly a much higher priority.

Have I mentioned that I used BMFont in my game at work?

Check it out (hopefully releasing in the next month):
www.gravitronixgame.com

Not much there yet, the full site should be up shortly though.

Also I'm planning on at least testing AS out on the Wii in the next few weeks, so I'll let ya know if it works!
==============================
A Developers Blog | Dark Rock Studios - My Site
No. I don't recall you mentioning Gravitronix before. I'm pleased to hear that my BMFont is being useful to a lot of developers. I'm currently working on fixing some bugs that have been reported by users, once those are fixed I'll release version 1.12.

About the CScriptBuilder. If you (or anyone else) would like to help out with the improvements I'd greatly appreciate it.

The idea is to change the current BuildScriptFromFile and BuildScriptFromMemory to AddSectionFromFile and AddSectionFromMemory. These two will then just add the script buffers, but not yet process them. Then a new Build method will be added which will initiate the processing.

When the Build method processes the sections and finds #include directives, it will call a callback function that the application has defined. It will pass the path of the current script section as well as the file to be included to the callback. The application will then be able to resolve that include and call either AddSectionFromFile or AddSectionFromMemory to include the new section.

Of course, if the application doesn't supply a callback for resolving the includes, the CScriptBuilder should have it's own built-in way of doing it. This one should probably work the way it currently does.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement