• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CoolProgrammer

Visual C++ Beginner tutorials

This topic is 3347 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I already know a little C/C++. Would anybody recommend any online tutorials for Visual C++? I need to write gui programs so that's why i'm not using GameDevC++.

Advertisement
I think what you need to ask yourself is weather C++ is really the best language for the job. If all you want to do is a simple GUI program, I can tell you from experience C++ usually isn't the best language for these sorts of applications (unless you're a masochist).

Have you considered C#? Similar syntax, much nicer to do fiddly GUI stuff in. I personally write all my GUI stuff in easier languages (usually C# or Python), and save the C++ for optimised code. You can actually load DLL files, written in C++, into a multitude of languages (including C#, Python and Java), so you don't necessarily have to sacrifice any speed. Learning another language is defiately time well spent.

I don't want to get too far off track, but I think you should take another look at the alternatives (especially C#), and make sure you really want to use C++.

Yeah if you want to write GUI's for Windows then C# is really where it's at, if you know a little C++ already then you'll feel right at home with C# and it's much more appropriate for making Windows GUI's than C++ ever will be.

I wrote a few small gui apps in C# before i started to learn C++, so i guess i should use C#. I need to write a gui program that will communicate with my PIC microcontroller with Bluetooth or serial port. I have to be able to do communicate with my microcontroller both ways. Could someone please give me some code to send/recieve data through the serial/COM port...and maybe for bluetooth. Thanks.
-CoolProgrammer

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!