Sign in to follow this  
CoolProgrammer

Visual C++ Beginner tutorials

Visual C++? GameDevC++?

Are you looking for a GUI library for C++?

If you're already using Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition then you could use the IDE's form designer tools to use in MFC. Or, if you don't have Visual Studio, you can hack it all in raw Win32 with the guide of theForger's Win32 API Tutorial. Or, you could use a third party library, such as Qt or GTK.

I think what you need to ask yourself is weather C++ is really the best language for the job. If all you want to do is a simple GUI program, I can tell you from experience C++ usually isn't the best language for these sorts of applications (unless you're a masochist).

Have you considered C#? Similar syntax, much nicer to do fiddly GUI stuff in. I personally write all my GUI stuff in easier languages (usually C# or Python), and save the C++ for optimised code. You can actually load DLL files, written in C++, into a multitude of languages (including C#, Python and Java), so you don't necessarily have to sacrifice any speed. Learning another language is defiately time well spent.

I don't want to get too far off track, but I think you should take another look at the alternatives (especially C#), and make sure you really want to use C++.

I wrote a few small gui apps in C# before i started to learn C++, so i guess i should use C#. I need to write a gui program that will communicate with my PIC microcontroller with Bluetooth or serial port. I have to be able to do communicate with my microcontroller both ways. Could someone please give me some code to send/recieve data through the serial/COM port...and maybe for bluetooth. Thanks.
-CoolProgrammer