psp homebrew question

Started by
6 comments, last by jjanevski 14 years, 8 months ago
Ps2dev.org banned my email address while registering because I answered the security question incorrectly, so for now I thought I'd come here. I've been trying to get a cross-compiler running to develop games for PSP. I don't currently have access to a linux machine, so I've tried using MinGW and Cygwin to build psptoolchain. I keep running into endless complications in the process. So I was wondering if it would work to just build a compiler that targets mips-elf and use it to build pspsdk, instead of using the supplied toolchain. Does anyone here have experience with PSP development? Any help is appreciated.
Advertisement
I have been using the MinPSPW SDK, which has a super simple installer and Visual Studio integration.
Hey, I actually am a PSP homebrew dev myself.

You should definitely check out http://www.psp-programming.com and post up at the forums theres, or better yet join us in IRC at ##psp-programming on the freenode IRC network.

So installing cygwin and the psptoolchain did not work for you? I know I had some issues when trying to install and build the toolchain, but its really your best bet since its the most updated.

Have you tried this guide? If toolchain seems to be failing for you one problem that caught me was my registered computer name. If you have a space in your name, example, "John Doe," then the toolchail will fail.
------------------------------------------------------------visit my: homepage
Thanks for the replies! I'll check out that guide. I'm still trying psptoolchain since it's the most updated, but if MinPSPW is simpler I may stick with that. But I have another question. My PSP currently has CFW 5.50 Gen-B. Will there be any compatibility issues with either of the toolchains? Apps written for older versions like 1.50 never seem to work, even when I put them in /psp/games150.

[Edited by - Daggerbot on July 23, 2009 7:24:44 PM]
Sorry, I'm pretty sure you're hosed when it comes to homebrew. You'll have to ask about the latest exploit of the day (are Pandora's Batteries still around?) so you can install custom firmware or you won't be able to run homebrew (Sony blocked execution of all unsigned code after 1.50).

The native windows SDKs look a heck of a lot more mature than they were back when I was active in the scene a couple years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the dominant method these days.
Daggerbot: Do you have CFW installed already or are you using Sony proprietary firmware?
Sorry if that was misleading. I meant CFW 5.50 Gen-B. I couldn't remember the exact name at the time but i knew it was a custom variant of 5.50.
No problem Daggerbot.

Do a hard reset on your PSP.
To do this:
1) make sure you PSP is on
2) now when it's on, hold down the power button until your PSP shuts down.
3) hold down the L and R shoulder buttons and then turn the power back on once the PSP has shutdown

Now you should enter the CFW Recovery mode. This is where you can change firmware settings and registry stuff.

Check around in the settings and such to make sure everything is set how you want it. It should already be so, but just take a look anyhow.

Make sure that the EBOOT.PBP for the App that you are trying to run is in the folder like so:
root:/psp/games150/gamename/

then in the folder "game name" you would put your EBOOT.PBP as well as any other data required in there.

EDIT: Did some googling and it turns out that 1.50 apps are not supported with the new 5.50 GEN CFW. sucks for now. :p

EDIT EDIT: Ok, well it looks like the same is true for the 5.50 M33 CFW. However, a patch was released to fix this. Maybe you can downgrade to 5.00 M33 and then google "1.50 kernel addon" and you should be able to figure out the rest. Good luck mate! :)

[Edited by - jjanevski on July 25, 2009 7:30:14 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement