Real-time Networked 2D Graphics

Started by
7 comments, last by tangerine 14 years, 8 months ago
I recently have become hooked on creating networked games, starting simple of course. But I'm interested in real-time play, as in multiple player characters playing alongside other characters, not turn based play. Now I've only just begin to dabble in both graphics programming and network programming, but mainly only with Java. But is Java capable of real-time networked graphics? As a real basic example of what I mean, can Java be used to create an applet which involves two or more sprites on the screen being moved around at the same time each by separate players on separate machines, connected through the internet? If not, then I need to find a new language. I have some background in C++ but I'm looking for a language that's more simple for starting networked graphics. But if there isn't a better language or if C++ is better in the long run then I'm very much willing to use it.
Advertisement
Yes is the short answer. The how to do that is the long one.
------------George Gough
Thanks. I think I'll just go back to C++ though. I feel it's better in the long run.
Quote:Original post by tangerine
Thanks. I think I'll just go back to C++ though. I feel it's better in the long run.

Thats a shame. http://www.corvstudios.com/tutorials/udpMultiplayer.php
I think java is your answer. Seach for socket programming in java, it is a very good library. If your game is simple or you are working on LAN it should be enough.

I never learned about networks in C++ but I am sure the problem you will get in Java will also occur in C++
taytay
If you're still interested, you might want to check out this not-so-old article at FunOrb.com about a recently-released java game. IMO the developers have overcome this particular problem nicely. I'm not sure at first glance whether the game in question is 2D or 3D though, it's possible it uses 2D sprites which have been pre-rendered.

Just to prove it's possible, anyway. =) Hope this helps.
For what it's worth, Puzzle Pirates is a 2D MMO written in Java. Of course, it's not a very latency-sensitive game, but it certainly does work, and I've no doubt that Java networking is basically as capable as C++ networking.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
Quote:Original post by tangerine

How will you run C++ code in a browser? After all, you were asking about applets.
I was asking about applets, but when I said I'd go back to C++ I meant and away from applets, sorry. Thanks for the links guys, I'll check them out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement