Sign in to follow this  
Waxy

Getting Started? [vb2008, directx9 d3d, slimdx]

Visual Studio 2008's VB.NET DirectX 9 SlimDX A few years ago with VB 6 and DirectX 7 i tackled making a multiplayer 3dFPS. I was getting along pretty good. I had made: Level Maker Modeler Gravity Advanced Texturing [buggy] lighting [buggy] 3D collision Networked clients and server. Then i was hit by a MAJOR pitfall and spirit-breaker..... My Hard Drive Crashed losing all source code and data. Well, now I'm on XP and have a DX9 video card (cheapo HD Radeon 3000 on-board) and a system with sweet speed. I've built up a good head of steam and I'm ready to get started again on making a 3DFPS. But it's been over 4 years and so i'm basically starting from scratch. Last time i used DirectX4VB by Jack Hoxley ( http://directx4vb.vbgamer.com/) as a beginners point, but his D3D9 tutorial doesn't have several of the elements that his D3D7 tutorials have. (Such as lighting, transparency, etc...) I've also had to tinker with his code to get it to run with VB2008 and some things (such as Directx draw text for the menu bar and fps stats) do not show. Can anyone suggest a VERY GOOD site for getting started with VB2008 and MDX dx9 or SlimDX dx9? (that includes lighting, texturing, and all the bells and whistles?)

If you are starting from scratch, maybe you want to take a look at doing everything in XNA this time around? There are some very good XNA tutorials at 3dbuzz.com