• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tintin1

offset position vs relative position

This topic is 3257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am an absolute beginner to graphics.So Im asking this trivial question. What is the difference offset position and relative position.Thank you.

Advertisement
What's the context on that? Are they terms used by a specific library or in general? In general offset position could be interpreted as 'position' + 'offset'. Whereas Relative position is always the displacement between two points. Offset is also sometimes used as synonym for relative position.

You need to specify context for anything more than that, but i hope that helped

These are used in a library.I am unable to understand what they are.These are for mouse cursor positions.These are used as two different functions.Thank you for the reply.

In general relative position is current position relative to something, maybe
the origin. And offset position is its displacement from a relative point,
maybe the origin.

I would've thought that they were the same thing: "Offset from something", or "Relative to something"...

The terms I usually see are Relative (offset from parent) and Absolute (offset from origin).

To me offset sounds more of a displacement where as relative sounds as more
of a displacement with direction.

Quote:
Original post by tintin1
These are used in a library.

What library?

Quote:
These are used as two different functions.

Used how? What functions?

If you're reading documentation and you don't understand it, show (or provide a link to) the documentation that you don't understand.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!