Illustration and design

Started by
5 comments, last by Freiheit 14 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, I think this is a good place to ask my questions because most guys here are experienced artists or are working in the creative industry. Currently, I'm 25 yrs now and is considering a career switch (I'm currently a lowly filing clerk doing admin chores). I know some basic Photoshop and color coordination, have solid computing background, know some web programming and basic software development etc., and I'm thinking of taking up courses and diplomas in multimedia / interactive media (desktop publishing, brochure designing, those general graphics designing stuff, animation and video etc). However, one thing which is really holding me back is that I can't draw since I was young. Even my apple or egg doesn't look convincing and a 5-year old can do it better than me. I've tried drawing (even used to study drawing when I was a teen for 2+ years), but always ended up at the back of my class. I can picture the stuff in my head prettily, but for some reason, my hand can't draw it out. So, I was thinking, should I still take up such multimedia courses? I'm not sure if my inability to do illustration will render me unsuitable for this course, as well as hinder my career in this field (I'm considering a career in creative industry). I've looked at other courses like psychology, Human Resource Management, IT, Finance etc but these subjects really put me to sleep. I'm willing to work hard in the multimedia field but well, illustration...... Thanks! Xeon
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Xeon_OND
However, one thing which is really holding me back is that I can't draw since I was young. Even my apple or egg doesn't look convincing and a 5-year old can do it better than me.

I strongly recommend you try Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, assuming you haven't. She seems to do an excellent job at teaching people to see, and thus to draw what is in front of them rather than what they cognitively know about an object.

Quote:So, I was thinking, should I still take up such multimedia courses? I'm not sure if my inability to do illustration will render me unsuitable for this course, as well as hinder my career in this field (I'm considering a career in creative industry).

Yes, you should still take the courses. An inability to draw realistically does not impact your ability to design brochures or magazine layouts, or to shoot and edit video. Most of the careers you've mentioned only require a sketch ability at best.

Traditional 2D animation does require drawing skill, and the better you are at drawing (and sculpting, and painting) the better you will be at animating. That said, there have been excellent animators who were not particularly gifted artists, but a basic facility is mandatory. 3D animation doesn't require the ability to draw, but it certainly helps.

Good luck!
Hi Oluseyi,

Thanks for your reply. As I'm interested in the digital media / design area, I've picked up 2 courses from 2 different schools for a start.

School 1:

# Internet: Intro to Technologies
# Information technology: Applications Software 1
# Information technology: Applications Software 2
# Screen Based Graphics
# Human Computer Interface
# Desk Top Publishing
# Multimedia Computing: Multimedia Technology
# Multimedia Computing:Interface Design and Authoring
# Internet: Web Development
# Multimedia Computing: Animation 1
# Multimedia Computing: Animation 2
# Multimedia Computing: Audio and Video 1
# Software Development: Introduction
# Internet: Client Side Web Scripting
# Software Development: Program Planning
# Professional and Legal Issues for Web and Multimedia developers

School 2:

# M1 Drawing Techniques
# Principles of Design
# Print & Web Design Fundamentals
# 2D and 3D Animation
# Print Design
# Web Design
# Interactive Media
# Interactive Media Project & Portfolio
# Storyboarding & Digital Video Production
# Motion Graphics
# Digital Video Graphics
# Digital Video Project & Portfolio

Now, I think School 2 offers better and more relevant modules.
Fees for both schools are about the same and not a factor for me.

I prefer School 2 myself, but the problem is their class starts Jan 2010!
That's a very long time and I'm gonna be wasting 6 months of my time waiting!

So, any advice?

Thanks!
Xeon :)
Now, I think School 2 offers better and more relevant modules.

Based solely on the course titles, I agree. I would recommend trying to get your hands on the syllabuses or, at minimum, course descriptions for at least some of the courses and then compare.

Quote:I prefer School 2 myself, but the problem is their class starts Jan 2010!
That's a very long time and I'm gonna be wasting 6 months of my time waiting!

What is your hypothetical alternative? Go to school 1 with the inferior program because it starts in September?

First of all, we're days away from August - January is 5 months away. See how time flies? Secondly, you can use the time before the program starts to prepare through self-study, or you might even be able to sign up for a course at the school as an independent. In the course listings for the school/program, there will be an indication of which courses have prerequisites (and what those prerequisites are), and possibly in which semesters the courses are offered. You could sign up to take one or more courses offered this fall that have no prerequisites, earning credit for them in advance of your matriculated enrollment. Call the school and ask.

Good luck!
Thanks Oluseyi!

Heck, I almost got impatient with waiting for 5+ months that I almost wanted to sign up for School 1 in the meantime but it's not very wise, after some thinking.

I'm planning to pick up some introductory drawing books in the meantime and learn as much as I can.

Umm, you or anyone here happen to know of any good websites teaching adult idiots how to draw? Like drawing a convincing-looking simple face or tree etc.

I don't aspire to be some illustrator but as the course I'm taking is related to drawing, it's essential to know at least some decent sketching.

See ye!
Xeon :)
Umm, you or anyone here happen to know of any good websites teaching adult idiots how to draw? Like drawing a convincing-looking simple face or tree etc.

I mentioned a very good book in my first reply...
Andrew Loomis's books can be found for free and legaly on the internet, to avoid getting any virus, do download them from google library.

They're considered a refenrence in life drawing, Betty Edwards's to but she makes my skin crawl with all kinds of displeasures. :( I just feel like her book is a manual on how to be mediocre... But it may just have been how our teacher though us her methods.

There's also this book called "anatomy for fantasy artists" by Glenn Fabry which I consider a good read for beginners: It covers the basics like anatomy, provides with some stock photos, talks about expressions, mouvement and ends with some nice character designs completed with lots of preliminary sketchs. You could also look into websites like deviantarts for basic tutorials on drawing and coloring.

One last piece of advice: Work very hard at school and work even HARDER when you're at home: make contacts and meet the people of the industry you intend to work in because you're aiming at a market that is rather saturated (No mather what your less-then-stellar teacher might tell you) so you'll need to do good and set yourself appart from the masses.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement