Windows Form Textboxes

Started by
15 comments, last by jpetrie 14 years, 9 months ago
Im running visual studio 2003. And I have created a windows form application. Designed it in the designer with some textboxes, some buttons, etc. When I click my button, I want the textbox to be set to a char* thats read from my file. My question is how can I set the textbox to that text.

private: System::Void button1_Click(System::Object *  sender, System::EventArgs *  e)
		 {
			 char *szVersion = GetNewVersion(); // read file , returns 1.32 (example) and yes it must be a char* in my case		
			 textBox2->Text = ? // Is this how you set the text? If so how can i convert the char* to the input type of the text box?
		 }

Ty for your help, sorry for stupid questions.
Advertisement
It's been a while since I've used C++/CLI, but you might try:

textbox2->Text = gcnew System::String(szVersion);

(edit) Oh wait, you're using old-school Managed C++, otherwise your .Net type *s would be ^s.

textbox2->Text = __gc new System::String(szVersion);

Or something like that. MC++ is truly ghetto.
ty man
What's with all the people using C++/CLI these days?

Seriously, unless you're writing a managed wrapper around a native library (e.g. like what the SlimDX guys do) there's no reason to be using C++/CLI for anything. I'd rather do GUI stuff in assembly than doing it in C++/CLI!
Quote:Original post by Codeka
What's with all the people using C++/CLI these days?

Seriously, unless you're writing a managed wrapper around a native library (e.g. like what the SlimDX guys do) there's no reason to be using C++/CLI for anything. I'd rather do GUI stuff in assembly than doing it in C++/CLI!

QFE. I only use C++/CLI for wrapper classes to C and only if I absolutely have to. It's way easier to use WinForms in C#. I usually rewrite C code in C# instead unless it's too much of a pain.
Hey sorry guys, I have one more question.

So I got everything working now.

But answer this, Is it possible to have another form inside? Like when you click a button on the main form, a new one will pop up. But so I can use another designer to design it?

Currently I just have a message box that pops up when I click the button, but I want to put an image in it.
Ok screw that question, this one is more simple I think.

I inserted a picture box into my form, then in the property window I added a picture from my picture album, but when I compile. I get this error

this->pictureBox1->Image = (__try_cast<System::Drawing::Image * >(resources->GetObject(S"pictureBox1.Image")));

the error is

c:\Users\HOMEOFFICE\Documents\Visual Studio Projects\wa\Form1.h(94): error C2039: 'GetObjectA' : is not a member of 'System::Resources::ResourceManager'

The generated code shouldnt be giving me errors should it? Or is there more to do when adding a picture.

Ps. i want to include it as a resource and dont want to rely on it being on my HD
Quote:Original post by RogerThat123
this->pictureBox1->Image = (__try_cast<System::Drawing::Image * >(resources->GetObject(S"pictureBox1.Image")));

the error is

c:\Users\HOMEOFFICE\Documents\Visual Studio Projects\wa\Form1.h(94): error C2039: 'GetObjectA' : is not a member of 'System::Resources::ResourceManager'
You shouldn't be #include'ing <windows.h> in a C++/CLI project - that's what's causing this error (windows.h has a line that #define GetObject GetObjectA).

Just another reason that you shouldn't be doing this sort of thing in C++/CLI...
what kind of project can i create instead then? i only have visual studio 2003, is there another project type I can make that I can use a designer for?
If you're using windows forms, then you should create a C# project.

If you really want to use C++, then use a native framework and stay away from managed code (I personally like wxWidgets, others might recommend Qt or something else).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement