• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Local and world matrix

This topic is 3129 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, A transformation problem is driving me crazy. I have a simple hierarchical 3D human-like model, let's just consider the Thigh (parent) and the Calf (Child). I can read the World transformation matrix of both but can only change the local ones (constraint of the system I am using). The following relationship is true: parent.worldTransform * child.localTransform = child.worldTransform I simply want to translate the knee (joint between the parent and the child) of 5 units along the Y axis IN WORLD SPACE. It sounds easy but all I can get so far is a translation along the Y axis in the LOCAL space (therefore my translation "moves" along the knee and got messed up due to its rotation). I tried the following relation: child.localTransformation = parent.worldTransformation.Inverse * (child.worldTransform * translation(0,5,0)); but the translation is still in local space :'( Can anyone see what's wrong and maybe try to find a way to translate that knee in world space. Thanks a lot

Advertisement
In order to perform a world-space translation, the vertex needs to be in world-space first. This seems to be accomplished just fine by child.worldTransform. So all you need to do next is apply the translation: translate(0,5,0) * child.worldTransform.

Hi Zipster,

Thanks for answering. The problem is that I can't write values in the world matrix, I can only change the local one. That's why I am looking for a way to compute exactly what you wrote for the for the local matrix, not the world one.

If I understood the problem corretly:

If Zipster's solution would work in principle, then what you want is expressed as
T * Cw
where T denotes the translation and Cw the world transform of the child. After setting in the computation of child's world matrix, you'll get
T * Pw * Cl
where Pw denotes the parent's world matrix and Cl the child's local matrix.

What your application allows is instead
Pw * ( T' * Cl )
so you're looking for an equality of
T * Pw * Cl == Pw * T' * Cl

This is solved to
T' = Pw-1 * T * Pw
so that T' defines the equivalent transformation in child's local space.

Thanks for the answer. I kinda messed up my code lately, it's not working as well as it used to. I'll try this solution as soon as i get it to work again and keep you updated. Thanks ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement