Sign in to follow this  
tomneo2004

[Help] delete dynamic array

aa=new int[2] creates an array of length 2 - a[0] and a[1]. You then access a[2], which would be the third element, hence your crash.

It's the classic confusion with counting from zero - your last valid array index is always one less than the size of the array.

You allocate a vector with two elements but then write to a third element. The debug runtime detects that you have written beyond the boundaries on the call to delete and raises the warning you see.

Quote:
Original post by tomneo2004
ok thanks guys but if i change int type to the type that define by myself is it possible to use delete[] to clear array?
No, delete[] will destruct elements and deallocate the array. It is possible to override the new and delete operators but clearing arrays is still not what they're for.

I recommend you look into using std::vector instead, for one thing this can clear itself.

Quote:
Original post by tomneo2004
ok thanks guys but if i change int type to the type that define by myself is it possible to use delete[] to clear array?

What exactly do you mean by "clear"? After delete[], the array won't exist anymore.

Quote:
Original post by dmatter
I recommend you look into using std::vector instead, for one thing this can clear itself.

Excellent suggestion. The program would then look like this:

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>

int main()
{
std::vector<int> vec;
vec.push_back(1);
vec.push_back(2);
vec.push_back(3);
std::cout << vec[2] << std::endl;
}

Note the abscence of manual memory management. No more new[] and delete[], and you don't have to worry about how large the vector needs to be.