Do I Put Sound in my Demo Game?

Started by
4 comments, last by signal_ 14 years, 8 months ago
I browsed through many game programming portfolio guides, but none really went into detail about this. For my game programming demo game, is it important I add sound/music to it? I heard that it's important for the game to be 100% yours, which means I would have to create my own music, right? If not, I would have to give credit to its author; I believe it would be better to be able to say that the game is entirely mine. I need somebody with experience in portfolios to tell me the pros and cons of including sound/music to a game programming demo, and wether it's better to create your own music, or borrow somebody else's. Thank you
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Michel_Carroll
For my game programming demo game, is it important I add sound/music to it? I heard that it's important for the game to be 100% yours, which means I would have to create my own music, right?

You're building a programming portfolio, so write solid, quality programs. Whether or not you're able to produce your own audio is a different story. I'd say, just borrow some audio (with permission of the author of course) and don't worry too much about it.

Look at it this way: what do you want to get hired for? Focus on showing those skills. Sure, it's good to have a broader vision and skillset on top of that, but you'll want to show your programming skills primarily.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by Captain P
You're building a programming portfolio, so write solid, quality programs. Whether or not you're able to produce your own audio is a different story. I'd say, just borrow some audio (with permission of the author of course) and don't worry too much about it.

Look at it this way: what do you want to get hired for? Focus on showing those skills. Sure, it's good to have a broader vision and skillset on top of that, but you'll want to show your programming skills primarily.

Good point. Unless I want to get recognized as a "jack of all trades", which isn't really what I'm going for, I suppose I don't have to worry about producing my own audio.
In my game, I used Sony's Cinescore to create a sound track. For sound effects, I used a CD that I have that contains a bunch of royal free sound snippets, I got this CD when I purchased some video editing software but I'm sure you can find some online or make them yourself with a microphone and some creativity. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/cinescore
I suggest downloading a free simple audio editer such as audacity i think its called, take a few royalty free sound effects, add some reverb, and/or reverse them, and/or slow them down, and boo-ya, brand new sound effect.

they don't have to be good, even a crappy sound effect adds something to the experience of a game. Look at mario, play it on mute and tell me its the same quality experience.
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
The other thing the OP may want to try is to use some free music composer software. I do this for some of the projects I am working on.

The free music software I use is Psycle.

Another interesting one for making retro video game music is Mario Paint Composer.

The above assume that you have an elementary knowledge of music composition. I am not a world class composer, I just make simple decent sounding songs to use. If all else fails, just copy a chord progression from a favorite song, for example.

Lastly, my go to source for free sound effects is Soungle; just download and add to the game.

Maybe these links can give you something to play with should you choose to explore this avenue further.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement