Device Fails with debug runtime

Started by
2 comments, last by hughiecoles 14 years, 8 months ago
What I use the retail D3D runtime, my program works fine, but when I use the debug runtime, CreateDevice fails with this error: Direct3D9: (WARN) :****DirectDraw/Direct3D DRIVER DISABLING ERROR****:NT Kernel mode would not create driver object... Failing over to emulation D3D9 Helper: IDirect3D9::CreateDevice failed: D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE Any ideas? I'm using vista ultimate service pack 1, and I have updated my geforce 8800 GTS drivers. Some more info: 1. If I run the vista performance score with retail Direct3D runtime, I get a 5.9 for graphics. If I run it with the debug Direct3D runtime I get a 1.0 for graphics. It is as if switching to the debug runtime makes the computer think I don't have a 3D card. 2. I did downgraded my SDK version from March 2009 to April 2006. I uninstalled the March 2009 before installing the April 2006. [Edited by - DragonSpace on July 24, 2009 12:20:15 PM]
Advertisement
Bump
I think you might want to look at the debug output a little more. As you said its throwing D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE which im guessing means that something you are passing into CreateDevice from your D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS struct. Could it be a back buffer format you are choosing or the width and height of your back buffer are off. if your compile your source with #define D3D_DEBUG_INFO it should give you more of an insight. Like i said the debug output should tell you why its failing. Always have the latest version of the SDK.

If you can post some of your code where you deal with creating the device.

Hope i can help.
Why did you downgrade? Try re-upping back to March 09 and see if that fixes it, the only logical reason I could see for downgrading is that you have a book or something that uses calls that have changed since then, but still, that's odd to say the least.
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement