Is SDL hardware accelerated ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Kylotan 14 years, 9 months ago
I've been starting with SDL and I wonder if SDL is hardware accelerated. I found a post in a random forum saying it wasn't, but well the post was 4 years old, things might have changed since then.
Advertisement
As far as I know its not. This why the made option to easy integrate OpenGL to SDL.

I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code.

SDL 1.2 (the current version) can be hardware accelerated, under certain platforms under certain conditions. Also, on some platforms using hardware accelerated surfaces can result in a performance loss (mostly with alpha blending, which AFAIK SDL cannot accelerate).

SDL 1.3 (a new version, not released yet) introduces a new way to do rendering that is (potentially) hardware accelerated. The backend is OpenGL, so hopefully any platform that has OpenGL support will be accelerated.

You can obtain and build SDL 1.3 from the SDL subversion repository.
Oh that's good news then, can't wait for a stable release. In the meanwhile I'll stick to 1.2.
Bear in mind that the SDL 1.2 series is something like 6 or 7 years old now, I think? So don't hold your breath waiting for 1.3. If I were you I'd use a different API, like SFML.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement