• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Playing Sounds with XAudio2

This topic is 3136 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I attempted to use the MSDN guide so that I could start playing sounds: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc308018(VS.85).aspx However, this seems to skip a lot of important initialization info, including whether or not certain functions can be performed within my own custom functions or the names of all the includes and libraries I need. I would like to use XAudio2, since DirectSound is no longer available, and should I choose to make money off of my games, I don't want to be limited by huge royalties (like with FMOD). tl;dr, Can someone give me some tips has to how to play sounds? I'd rather not have a noiseless game.

Advertisement
Or rather, is it possible to use something easier without paying money, such as DirectSound? Else, I need help with the above.

Hi,
I don't think DirectSound is "unavailable"--it's just "deprecated." I use it for my sounds since it seems to be more stable than XAudio2. I reserve XAudio2 for background music since it does really well with that--DirectSound only plays wave files.
Munawar

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement