Sign in to follow this  
smhillis

Racing game book

HI.

Sorry, I don't think you will be able to find a book specifically on how to make a racing game, but if you get a book on SDL or OpenGL, or maybe spend a couple weeks following tutorials, etc. you will certainly be able to make a racing game.

If you're just learning C++ I found a ton of books on it, and I even found one on OpenGL at my local Barnes and Nobles. I suggest just buying a book. It makes things so much easier, and once you get good at C++/OpenGL/etc. you'll probably be able to make a whole lot more besides a racing game.

Also, if you're not interested in learning C++ I suggest Game Maker. It has it's own language called GML, and it is very powerful. It's what I used when I started out, and then I worked my way up to C++, which I'm STILL not proficient in.

Sorry for the long post. :p

XNA Game Programming (I think thats the title..not sure) has a 3D racing game that you build partially (the rest is on the CD that ships with the book)

The book covers C# and XNA is a really nice manner. You build several different games throughout it.

Its a red book with yellow text.
I'm 800 miles away from my copy of it, and I don't remember the author sorry.

Good luck.

I can try to find it on amazon for you if you can't seem to find it.

Quote:
Original post by Developer_X
XNA Game Programming (I think thats the title..not sure) has a 3D racing game that you build partially (the rest is on the CD that ships with the book)

The book covers C# and XNA is a really nice manner. You build several different games throughout it.

Its a red book with yellow text.
I'm 800 miles away from my copy of it, and I don't remember the author sorry.

Good luck.

I can try to find it on amazon for you if you can't seem to find it.

That's the Nitschke XNA book you are thinking of since I also have a copy. He explains how he wrote the XNA racing game that's on the microsoft creators web site in the book.