Sign in to follow this  
Palidor

Setting a FILE* to a raw character array, instead of a file?

I know the subject sounds strange, but here's how i found myself in this predicament lol I decided to write a FileArchive class that allows you to open a .PAK file, and leave it open throughout the duration of a program and read data from it when you need to load a certain file into the the game. I originally decided on this method because iPhone doesn't seem to support relative paths very well, and I needed to add a single .PAK file as a resource, and treat it as a bundle and then get the absolute path with regards to the current system and open it in the FileArchive object i created. So, with all that aside, here's my problem: I have succeeded in getting OpenAL working on the iPhone, using the ogg vorbis libraries. However, now when i read out a vector<char*> buffer from the archive that contains all the raw data for the .ogg file i want to load into the sound manager, I cannot open it with a FILE*, which the ov_open function needs to fill out the ogg_FileInfo object, along with subsequent ogg vorbis data structures. So, my question is, is it possible for me to "trick" the FILE* into thinking that the vector<char*> is actually an open file, or am i essentially screwed with this approach? Thanks in advance! Sean

FILE* does not actually point to any data, but merely to a structure that's used for file access bookkeeping. So that won't work at all.

However, most somewhat decent libraries that need data from files either provide a mean to set custom file access functions or accept the data from memory. You'd have to consult the documentation of the ogg/vorbis library, or maybe someone here knows.

Thank you very much, sir! After mentioning that the ogg vorbis library might be able to do that, I did a quick google and found the following website explaining how to load an ogg file from memory :-) Here it is in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.devmaster.net/articles/openal-ogg-file/