SlimTune Profiler for .NET (0.1.5 Release) Updated!

Started by
16 comments, last by Promit 14 years, 8 months ago
For those of you that don't know, I've been working on a profiler. I have a journal post about it here. This is the 0.1.5 release, which I think I'm making my first official release. Both x86 and x64 targets are supported, for all XP, Vista, 7, and probably the servers too. I recommend uninstalling a previous version if you've got one. Link to Installer Right now only sampling mode profiling is supported in the public build. The remote profiling and real-time profiling features are both fully functional, and I've included a pair of prototype visualizers. These are both based on existing profilers, possibly a little too faithfully (their originals do some odd things). Most people seem to favor the dotTrace style visualizer, but I'm looking for feedback on both. The whole thing is open source under the MIT license, and the visualizers will actually be pluggable when it's done, so you'll be able to write your own and drop them in -- or publish them. (In theory they're pluggable now but I haven't tried it yet.) This is hopefully the final release of the 0.1 series -- I think I've got nearly all the sampling bugs knocked out and the major features are there. If you guys could try it out and let me know what you think, I'd really appreciate it. I'm especially interested in applications that are drastically affected performance-wise by this thing. My hope is that this particular build will supplant NProf completely. [Edited by - Promit on August 13, 2009 2:32:33 PM]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Looks good. I threw a little XNA game I have been working on onto it, works great. I don't have too much time to really mess around with it right now though...
I forgot to mention, I'm curious what the effect on runtime performance is when the profiler is active with your projects.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Any chance of a list of dependancies in order to build from SVN?

It seems to require some SQL things and I am guessing additional C++ libraries in order to build from the google code SVN version. I am using vanilla VC++ and VC# express 2008.
SQL Server Compact, which is included in the repository under install\ExtraFiles. You'll also need boost set up and built correctly. I should warn you, the SVN tends to be hilariously unstable at any given point in time.
Quote:Original post by Promit
SQL Server Compact, which is included in the repository under install\ExtraFiles. You'll also need boost set up and built correctly. I should warn you, the SVN tends to be hilariously unstable at any given point in time.

Time for branch management? [smile]
Nobody is supposed to be playing with the source code right now, it's nothing close to a stable app and no one's on the project right now. I make the source available, but I'm not making any promises about it [smile]
Hmm, seems to require ATL which isnt included in the express editions or the more recent windows SDKs...
Apparently you're out of luck. That's kinda weird, huh.
I just tried it out here, and it certainly seems to be working though I'm not entirely sure how I should be reading the results. [oh] 49.96% is spent in Thread #3 (System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()) that I don't recognise (it contains references to remoting further down the tree, is this part of the profiler?) 30.53% of the rest of the time spent in Device.Present in the main application thread (which I do at least recognise); these two large values render most of the other results pretty small (lots of 0.1% or 0.0% scores) which aren't too easy to compare to eachother.

Of the 20% remaining, the profiler has shown me that one method call is responsible for 5.91% total CPU time, which I've trimmed to about 3.49%. Cheers! [grin]

I look forwards to seeing where this project goes; a good, free profiler is something .NET seems to be missing!

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement