Absolute Beginner Guidence

Started by
13 comments, last by nb 14 years, 8 months ago
Thank you for giving your time to read this, and hopefully I can get an answer I'm looking for. Intro: Only recently have I decided to pursue game creation either as a career or a hobby. At first, I immediately had my eye on making games as a career, but like many people, I had no idea what that goal encompassed. A light-bulb had exploded in my brain telling me that maybe....just maybe, I could actually make games for a career. However, within a few days, I realized how much work I would need to do in order for that to ever become a reality. I decided to pick up programming and after having spent about two months researching the topic, I've found that I enjoy programming, regardless of it's application. Mind you, before June of this year, I had no exposure to programming what so ever. The same day it clicked in my head that making games could be a reality was the same day I picked up a SAMS book on learning C++ in 21 days. Buying that book right away was very impulsive; I hadn't spent more than a couple hours researching online where I should begin, so I ended up returning the book after discovering other books on C++ that taught you in context to game design. The book I then began with was "Beginning C++ Through Game Design" from Course Technology. I was enjoying the book quite a bit until I found the website gameinstitute.com. So, for a third time, I started a new C++ book, specifically the one used on that website. I was very excited and into the program until I reached chapter 3. I started to feel that this wasn't the best book to begin with. The third chapter was very short, and it seemed like the exercises were not on par with the level of teaching they provided. I still paid for the program, so eventually I will go back, but after that experience, I decided that I needed to pick one book that was right for me and stick with it. (This has been a long introductory, but I think it would be good to give you a proper understanding of the situation in order to receive the best advice.) Due to some personal circumstances, today has been the first day to commit to this and work/study on a regular basis. Part of the problem with the last couple months has been my inconstancy. I might spend 5 hours on a weekend programing at a computer, and the rest of the week reading 30-60 minutes a day while commuting to work, with a little bit of programming on a laptop. Obviously, this won't work. So....I made the decision to spend at least 25 hours a week on this, completely prepared to do everything it takes to be a great programmer, game designer, mathematician, you name it. And from experience with life and lessons learned from other people, I'm not in a rush. What I mean is that I'm ok if it takes me 5 - 10 years to get to a level where I am comfortable. And I've accepted already that it is more than likely that I won't have the privilege to work for a great game company in the future. Regardless of that likely hood, I have been enjoying this a lot and would feel great if I could at least make games for myself and friends. My question is this then: Is C++ Primer Plus a good book to start with? This is the book I chose most recently to stick with. I've learned much more from this book alone than any of the other ones. It seems to have a nice pace, friendly exercises that help me practice and learn, and the writing style is less dense and a little more conversational than the other books I've experienced. Should I go through this book completely? Where can I find a great book or website that has C++ exercises, specifically for beginners? Since I'm new to programming, creating my own exercises is either too easy, or since because I'm not experienced with what a program language is capable of, I find it difficult to set projects for myself. Should I first invest my time in studying math? Is this something you think I should do at the same time? If so, other than school, what books would be great for learning math on all levels? It's been a while since I've done any serious math. I'm completely capable of learning; I never stuck with it in life because I no end to use math...until now. Should this C++ Primer be one of many C++ books I learn before I even touch Windows programming or game programming? Is 25 hours a week enough? That equates to approx 1300 hours a year. It's honestly the most time I can spend. THE END! Any other guidance would be helpful. I appreciate the articles and resources this site has to offer, but I'm looking for a little more direct advice. And since now you know some of the story, I may have the confidence to go through with this and feel comfortable that I'm on a good path. That isn't to say there is a path, but there definitely is a correct way to go about doing something as opposed to a counter productive way. Thanks a lot
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by JoggingGervais
I've found that I enjoy programming, regardless of it's application.

Good.

Is C++ Primer Plus a good book to start with?

Yes.

Should this C++ Primer be one of many C++ books I learn before I even touch Windows programming or game programming?

You can program very simple games in text mode. Nevertheless, you will have to read multiple C++ books to become proficient with the language, at least 3. Personally, I have 8 on my bookshelf.
I didn't read all of that, but I got the important parts.

25 hours a week is pretty good, depending of course on whether you spread this over a number of disciplines or just one.
25 hours a week for 25 different things is not as good as 25 hours of programming obviously :)

I find it's important to first establish what it is you want to do, I find so many things about game development interesting I often feel that there aren't enough years left for me to learn them all. This also makes it alot harder for me divide my time. So pick what you want to do most of all, build up your skills, and then move to the next thing you want to learn.

It's good that you're fine with just having fun with the code, because it will be a little while before you can actually start making games. First you need to learn the language, standard library, an API (directX for example), ...
It's definitely a process that can take a few years.

Math is a skill which can be very useful in programming. I'm thinking of trigonometry, matrices, etc. For example if you want to scale something, you can use a tranformation matrix on the collection of points that make up that object. A working knowledge of mathematics will save you time in situations like this.

As for the book, I'm not familiar with that one, but since you seem to learn alot from it I would recommend you finish it. If you want to get a good grasp of the standard c++ library, I found "accelerated c++" quite helpful.
Be warned though: all the exercises in this book are in the console window, which most beginning programmers find a little boring.
amazon link

also - I speak only for myself of course - but it's better to be quick and to the point in forum posts, you'll get more readers that way.

EDIT: spelling
the 3dbuzz c++ video tutorials are quite good as a side accompaniment.
Quote:Original post by DevFred
You can program very simple games in text mode. Nevertheless, you will have to read multiple C++ books to become proficient with the language, at least 3. Personally, I have 8 on my bookshelf.

Would you be able to give me an estimate of the total number of programming books you have, including game programming books and what not? I imagine there are people out there with tons, but an example would be nice.

And yes, I know that post was long; I won't do that again.

Quote:Original post by picklejuice
Be warned though: all the exercises in this book are in the console window, which most beginning programmers find a little boring.

I don't mind doing console exercises at all. It's been very helpful and a lot of fun. My only concern was the amount of exercises these books have you do. I WANT MORE. But then again, the more I'm understanding, the better I'm getting at doing some on my own.

Quote:Original post by DevFred

Would you be able to give me an estimate of the total number of programming books you have, including game programming books and what not? I imagine there are people out there with tons, but an example would be nice.

I personally have about 18 and 2 more I borrowed from colleagues.

1 ASP
1 &#106avascript
1 C#
5 C++
1 perl
2 Java
1 Regexes
2 Program Design
1 QA
1 Non-code programming (best practices, how to approach/plan a project)
1 OpenGL
1 Type Systems
1 Win32
1 Cyptography

And I am a bit behind the curve on reading materials go. I concur with the sentiment that it'll take about 3 books to become proficient in C++.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn

I personally have about 18 and 2 more I borrowed from colleagues.

1 ASP
1 &#106avascript
1 C#
5 C++
1 perl
2 Java
1 Regexes
2 Program Design
1 QA
1 Non-code programming (best practices, how to approach/plan a project)
1 OpenGL
1 Type Systems
1 Win32
1 Cyptography

And I am a bit behind the curve on reading materials go. I concur with the sentiment that it'll take about 3 books to become proficient in C++.

Wonderful. Does anyone know of great books that teach computer science, hardware, history, etc?

Wonderful. Does anyone know of great books that teach computer science, hardware, history, etc?

As for computer science, SICP is often considered the best. The Art of Computer Programming is also highly regarded.

One thing to note about my list is a lack of algorithms and data structure books. Something that should be there, but I've just neglected over the years.

As for computer science, SICP is often considered the best. The Art of Computer Programming is also highly regarded.

One thing to note about my list is a lack of algorithms and data structure books. Something that should be there, but I've just neglected over the years.

Should I go along with the first book and use LISP/SCHEME? Should I just read the book and follow the logic without actually doing the exercises? I took a gander at this book a week ago, but thought it wouldn't help trying to learn two languages at once.

Should I go along with the first book and use LISP/SCHEME? Should I just read the book and follow the logic without actually doing the exercises? I took a gander at this book a week ago, but thought it wouldn't help trying to learn two languages at once.

*shrug* The text is free in html if you want to skim it. I've not read through it in depth, so can't recommend one way or the other.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement