Real time collision detection book and Eberly

Started by
3 comments, last by Christer Ericson 14 years, 8 months ago
What book out of the following would be recommended: 3D Game Engine Design, 2nd edition 3D Game Engine Architecture Game Physics Geometric Tools They are all by the same author of this paper [David Eberly]: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.24.2286 I have created a method using this excellent paper but it has left me hungry for more information. I'm now hoping for a book that expand on collision detection with coding examples etc. I have the Real Time Collision Detection book by Christer Ericson but I would like to hear Eberly's point of view of the subject, as it is cited many times in Christer's book. Thanks
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Spa8nky
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.24.2286

How strange that CiteSeer would provide information on this. I thought they only dealt with refereed publications. I did not write the abstract at that site. The link is to my obsolete magic-software site. They also have cached a copy--does this not violate my copyright notice in the PDF? The PDF is still accessible from my geometrictools site. I wrote it in the late 1990s when I was working on NetImmerse (now Gamebryo). A lot has happened in 10 years regarding collision detection, so consider this PDF a bit old...

Quote:
I'm now hoping for a book that expand on collision detection with coding examples etc.

I have the Real Time Collision Detection book by Christer Ericson but I would like to hear Eberly's point of view of the subject, as it is cited many times in Christer's book.

In my opinion, Christer's book is the best reference for practical algorithms for collision detection. I doubt my books would give you a significant amount more than this.
Thank you for your reply David!

Christer's book, although a fantastic read and a comprehensive tome, missed out on a few elements such as your moving OBB and Triangle collision algorithm.

I was looking to continue expanding my collision detection library code and thought you would be the go to guy for any information that needed fleshing out.

Reading these articles and books helps me understand what is going on, and coding it for myself consolidates that information.

So if I had to force any one of you to make a decision based on your experiences, which book would it be?

Thanks again.
Maybe some of the articles here will be helpful to you, in case you haven't seen them already.
Quote:Original post by Spa8nky
Christer's book, although a fantastic read and a comprehensive tome, missed out on a few elements such as your moving OBB and Triangle collision algorithm.
Actually, section 5.5.2 for the moving separation axis test does cover moving OBB-triangle collision. In fact, the moving separation axis test handles continuous collision for any convex polyhedron against any other convex polyhedron, though realistically you want the polyhedra to be of limited complexity as the number of axes to test are O(e^2) in the number of polyhedra edges.

In hindsight I wish I had expanded this section more, but it really is a very trivial extension of the separating axis test and it does handle just about any test you may want.

The moving separating axis test is a superset (and a correction) of Dave's old article for a moving OBB vs. triangle test.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement