Troubles sleeping

Started by
48 comments, last by metalmidget 14 years, 7 months ago
Lately I've been having a hard time sleeping, both falling asleep and sleeping through the night. I have always taken a long time to fall asleep, even since I was a kid, but lately it seems worse. It usually takes me at least a half hour to 45 minutes to fall asleep. In the last 6 months or so I've also started to wake up in the mornings, usually around 4-5, and have been having troubles falling back asleep. A good example is Sunday night: I went to bed around 10:30, and tossed and turned til at least 12:30. I slept lightly til about 4 when something woke me up. I don't think I fell back asleep til after 5, and was awake when my alarm went off. Does anyone have any recomendations? I have tried taking 3mg of Melatonin about a half hour before bed, and that seemed to help with falling asleep faster, but not so much sleeping through the night (although it did cause me to have some very odd/crazy vivid dreams!). However lately it doesn't seem to be helping as much. Here is some background on my general health/lifestyle: I'm 23, male, in good physical condition, I usually work out or bike/run after work. I eat pretty healthy, and always eat 3 meals a day pretty close to the same times each day. I'm not depressed or stressing about anything. My work schedule is the same every day (M-F, 8:30 - 5). I go to bed roughly the same time every night, usually around 10:30 or 11, and wake up at 7 (times on the weekends vary though). Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.
Advertisement
How much caffeine do you consume?
I've got exactly the same problem, and have for quite a number of years. Cutting back/out the caffeine made a minimal impact, even after 3 months of it, just left me tired for about the same amount of time, just forcing me to bed early from feeling tired, but with the same long period of trying to fall asleep.

If your caffeine intake is high (as mine has recently been), I've found when it's time for bed, a few strong coffees (ie - 4-5 mugs within half an hour) and some last minute work helps me fall asleep a little quicker, ie - exhausting myself. No guarentees that this will work for you or anyone else, but I'm sure the same strategy works for others. I do not think this 'technique' is healthy at all though.
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
Caffiene intake is small. Usually 2 cups of green tea a day, usually always before 2.
Do you do anything in bed besides sleep? Reading in bed, surfing on a netbook, etc can supposedly make it more difficult to fall asleep.
Why do you have a hard time falling asleep? Do you feel like you can't quiet your mind, or do you feel physically restless, or something else entirely?

I sometimes take a non-non-drowsy antihistamine when I'm having a hard time falling asleep (which happens rather rarely these days). It usually helps me fall asleep shortly, and I wake even more refreshed than usual since it fights off the allergies for a bit.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Exercise.

oh oops I see you're from the US... Yeah I'm sure theres a pill out there thats right for you!

Seriously, that happens to me some times, but it comes and goes in phases. A few months ago I had the worst trouble sleeping. Now I sleep like a baby. Nothing significant changed between then and now, its just random as far as I can tell.
That pill would be "melatonin". It is available over the counter in the US. 0.5mg has been shown clinically to be the best dosage against insomnia, taken 30mins before going to bed. I bought a bottle of 30 or so for my girlfriend for about 5.00USD. She said she was happy with them.

I am not a doctor. This is not medical advice.
Quote:Original post by Richy2k
If your caffeine intake is high (as mine has recently been), I've found when it's time for bed, a few strong coffees (ie - 4-5 mugs within half an hour) and some last minute work helps me fall asleep a little quicker, ie - exhausting myself.
ah internet advice.

I don't intake stimulants except once in a great while chocolate (haven't drank pop in a few years). I was actually going to mention stop taking stimulants altogether.

I sleep around 4 hours a day and 13 on the weekends though so my sleep patterns aren't that great either :\ However, I'm a short sleeper so sleeping for a short time and I feel completely awake.

Are you tired when you wake up? If not you could just be done sleeping. I mean sure humans are conditioned to sleep when it's dark out, but not everyone sleeps the same length of time.
Quote:Original post by Sirisian
Quote:Original post by Richy2k
If your caffeine intake is high (as mine has recently been), I've found when it's time for bed, a few strong coffees (ie - 4-5 mugs within half an hour) and some last minute work helps me fall asleep a little quicker, ie - exhausting myself.
ah internet advice.

Probably some of the worst advice, but I've just stated what 'seems' to work for me [smile]
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
1. Are you exercising? Your body needs it. I don't mean just the distance from your door to your car, but really working up a sweat. Do it at least 3x per week.

2. Are you eating a balanced diet? Having too much or too little of various foods will affect your sleep. High-fat foods burn differently than proteins, and different types of carbs burn quickly or slowly. Having elevated blood sugar at bedtime will impede sleep, so don't eat or snack after 6:00 or if you are planning on a 10:00 bedtime. Similarly don't eat or snack after 8:00 for a Midnight bedtime. Getting low blood sugar during the night can wake you up, so make sure your dinner has slow-burning carbs and proteins.

3. What drugs (legal or otherwise) are you taking? Alcohol is initially a stimulant and later a depressant, so a drink before bed can keep you awake at first but then later help induce sleep. Tobacco (actually, nicotine) is also both a stimulant and depressant. Any medications you take will also have an effect on your sleep. Caffeine is obviously a stimulant that can last in the body for quite some time.

If you are exercising, eating well, and not knowingly medicating yourself with stimulants just before bedtime, then you should consult with your doctor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement