how much should i put the price

Started by
8 comments, last by HostileExpanse 14 years, 8 months ago
hi there. i don't really know programing that much, so i was looking into elance, script coder and similar pages, but i'm not sure what opening price should i put do develop simple game for a ipod, something simple as slider-shuffle puzzle. and the other game would be more complicate to make, similar to tetris. all ideas thoughts are welcome.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by mikey44
hi there. i don't really know programing that much, so i was looking into elance, script coder and similar pages, but i'm not sure what opening price should i put do develop simple game for a ipod, something simple as slider-shuffle puzzle.
and the other game would be more complicate to make, similar to tetris. all ideas thoughts are welcome.

Regarding that there are already many quality softwares, I wouldn't go beyond 5 bucks, and maybe recommend 1 ... (Dollar, Euro?)
Mikey, which are you asking:
1. How much to charge someone to develop an iPod app;
2. How much to charge end users to buy a completed iPod app?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

yes Tom the thing i'm asking is number one
Mikey,
Setting prices for your freelance services is done based on several factors:
1. Your experience level (the more experience, the more you can charge).
2. The client's need (the more they need you, the more you can charge).
3. The competition (the more competition there is, the less you can charge).
4. The length of the project (the longer the project, the more you can charge).
5. The scope of the project (the more people you have to bring in, the more you can charge).

So:
1. What's your experience level?
2. How badly does the client need you?
3. How much competition is there for this project?
4. How long will it take you to do this project?
5. Can you do everything yourself, or will you have to pay someone to contribute assets, or will the client be paying other vendors separately?

Look, the bottom line is this: Why do you think you can charge someone else *anything at all* if you, by your own admission, "don't really know programming that much." When people put money down, their expectations change dramatically, and things become very serious. If you haven't made several similar applications already, then you're nowhere near ready to charge for your services.

How'd you like me to charge you to fix your car? I don't know much about fixing them, but I know enough not to make too many mistakes... probably.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

thanks for answers guys, but now i see that i did not ask my question properly, what i meant is that i need somebody to develop game for me, and since elance and such sites are bidding sites, i have to figure out how much should i offer
Quote:Original post by mikey44
thanks for answers guys, but now i see that i did not ask my question properly, what i meant is that i need somebody to develop game for me, and since elance and such sites are bidding sites, i have to figure out how much should i offer

Wow. Either you're not really from NYC, or your native language is not English. Classic case of the question being seriously misleading!

You're embarking on a fairly serious business venture here. Unless this is just idle curiosity (in which case I begrudge the effort I've been putting into helping with this). If you're serious about paying somebody to develop your game for you, your first step should be to write a business plan.

A game development company charges somewhere around $10-11,000 per month.
A simple game can take as long as 3 months to develop completely.
A lone-wolf developer might charge less, and estimate a shorter time, but it's unlikely to cost less than $10,000, shouldn't cost more than $30,000.

In your business plan, make sure you have a realistic plan for what to do with the game once it's been made. In my opinion, any business plan based on just one game is not a good plan, and is not good business.

Bit harsh on your answer there since nowhere does he state he's planning anything business related... Could be anything (having a game made for a school/institution etc) and even if it's business related he may be building a business plan and then figuring out your costs is part of your business plan so , even in the case you hit right at random & he's doing this for business , you may just be bashing him for doing... exactly what you're suggesting he does?

As for the OP , what exactly do you have in mind? You need to provide a clear description of what you're looking for to get even just a rought "guesstimate" , a tetris and another could have an order of magnitude of difference if they had different content/levels/music/features and , as a self addmited non programmer , you should really not try to guess what features may cost (that is , think there is a rought price for a tetris like and think that each feature will add like 10% while it could be anywhere from free to 1000% of the price of the game).
Threadstarter's request seemed pretty clear from me from the first post....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement