What is the point of MMOs?

Started by
25 comments, last by krez 14 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by dontstopdreaming
I find that the feeling of purpose in MMORPG's could be created by first creating a really challenging world! And everyone has to stick together in order to survive.

Problem: this isn't fun. I would avoid a game like that like the plague. Other people are obnoxious, who wants to be forced to work with them 24/7 in what's supposed to be a relaxing recreational activity?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Most people here didn't answer what I found to be the main question to game designers: what can we do to remove grind, and make a meaningful game?

Let's separate the question about meaningful games from removing the mmo grind. All IMO of course...

The human mind is a learning and prediction machine. It organizes everything it sees and uses the information to predict future events. It achieves satisfaction both from being able to successfully predict outcomes, and from being surprised by something unexpected (something new to learn to predict). Games tap into this machinery by giving us things we can predict, and surprises we wish to know how to predict. Once a game has been played enough to be entirely predictable, we usually lose interest.

The human mind is an optimization engine. With it's knowledge and predictions about the world around us, it attempts to optimize our behavior. The mind can approximate the lowest energy usage to get something done given an amazing number of variables. Consider walking to the store. Immediately your mind has figured out what order to put your shoes and jacket on, which door to exit, which way to turn at each part of the path. It's even reminded you that it would be faster to drive. Games tap into this machinery by giving us choices and problems to optimize.

I find that almost all games can be broken down into some combination of these two factors. Whether it's the prediction and optimization of hand-eye-coordination in an FPS; the 'least time spent' optimization of an MMO; or the even more complex prediction and optimization challenges of other human beings in a social setting.

... that brings us back to our other question about 'what is an MMO?' and 'is there an MMO without the grind?'

Personally, I think MMOs (relative to other games) are about -- making the process of learning, predicting, and optimizing the game take longer. They do this by increasing the number of decisions the player has to make ; making it easy to advance, but hard to advance at the fastest rate; minimizing disappointment by only allowing forward progress; and making social interaction a required part of the game to assure that even when our minds can fully predict the game, we can't full predict the other humans.

When I look at MMOs like WoW, I don't see a 'grind', I see the world's largest/longest platformer. Just like Super Mario Brothers, playing the single-player wow-platformer over and over
allows you to learn lots of little secret tricks that make your path through the game more optimized and more satisfying (for the mind's machinery) than if you only did it once.

I believe players who percieve the single-player 'leveling up' in MMOs as a grind are not interested in learning more about it. They simply want to reach the end once, perhaps to play with their friends, perhaps to enjoy social-PVE, perhaps to enjoy PVP.

Therefore, if there is a way to remove the feeling of the 'grind', it might start by understand why a particular type of player percieves it as a grind, and then making it more satisfying for him.

If you play an MMORPG, you should group with other people. I find it funny when people whine when there aren't solo features. If you want to play solo, play an RPG.
Quote:Original post by Rahl
If you play an MMORPG, you should group with other people. I find it funny when people whine when there aren't solo features. If you want to play solo, play an RPG.

That's a pretty close-minded point of view. Most people enjoy group play some of the time, when they are in the mood, but don't enjoy it all or even most of the time. You think as soon as a person isn't in the mood for group play they should switch games? Ridiculous. The great thing about MMOs is that they are not single-faceted; an MMO should provide a virtual world in which the player can chose from a variety of activities both social and non-social. Any world lacks depth if it has no room for solo play.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

MMO's let people jump into a virtual world where you can do whatever you want. If you've ever wanted to be a hero, or wear really cool clothes and ride mythical beings and have a lot of money and people who respect you, and you wanted to have power and be better than other people and you wanted to fly and show off your skills, then you should play an MMO because thats what they're for.
Quote:Original post by Girsanov
Or in the case of games like WoW and some MUDs, grind for PvP points after hitting the level cap.

You dont have to PvP, many players dont. In that case, you grind for emblems (to buy loot) or loot itself so yea your previous statement was correct :p

Just had to throw that out there so you dont think the only thing to do at 80 is to PvP, oh no, you gotta run those raids!!!

:)
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
I find that the feeling of purpose in MMORPG's could be created by first creating a really challenging world! And everyone has to stick together in order to survive.

Problem: this isn't fun. I would avoid a game like that like the plague. Other people are obnoxious, who wants to be forced to work with them 24/7 in what's supposed to be a relaxing recreational activity?

I'd like a game like this. Of course, it still needs a lot of work. By simply adding player driven quests and player controlled towns, the game can cater to both soloists and group players. A bit like Majesty, a mayor could put bounties for certain boss or a pay to players who accomplish tasks like killing baddies or sticking in an area to defend it. A soloist could log on, see where the cash is and go there without a group. There may or may not be other players there and the soloist may or may not get steamrolled by a random orc invasion. However, you'd need a group to take out an orc outpost to stop the orc progression, liberate resources and allow the players to progress in the game world just like you need a group to get epic loot in WoW.

The key to this idea is the world and your character are not immortal. When everything is conquered, that's it and the whole process start again. Otherwise, the game becomes stale and nothing interesting ever happens. To compensate, some bonuses can be given to veterans who proved themselves worthy in the previous world. Something like unique abilities, permanent stat bonuses or unique clothes. It requires a drastic change from the "grind and get better" approach WoW and every other MMORPG is using, but it could work as a niche game.
Developer for Novus Dawn : a [s]Flash[/s] Unity Isometric Tactical RPG - Forums - Facebook - DevLog
Quote:Original post by Tiblanc
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow

I'd like a game like this. Of course, it still needs a lot of work. By simply adding player driven quests and player controlled towns, the game can cater to both soloists and group players. A bit like Majesty, a mayor could put bounties for certain boss or a pay to players who accomplish tasks like killing baddies or sticking in an area to defend it. A soloist could log on, see where the cash is and go there without a group. There may or may not be other players there and the soloist may or may not get steamrolled by a random orc invasion. However, you'd need a group to take out an orc outpost to stop the orc progression, liberate resources and allow the players to progress in the game world just like you need a group to get epic loot in WoW.

The key to this idea is the world and your character are not immortal. When everything is conquered, that's it and the whole process start again. Otherwise, the game becomes stale and nothing interesting ever happens. To compensate, some bonuses can be given to veterans who proved themselves worthy in the previous world. Something like unique abilities, permanent stat bonuses or unique clothes. It requires a drastic change from the "grind and get better" approach WoW and every other MMORPG is using, but it could work as a niche game.

I could see that as a niche game, but I wouldn't personally be in that niche market. I'd prefer to see the game kept from getting stale by the use of interactive story gameplay (which is of course primarily solo content); playing the game a second or third time would be quite different because the game would show a different face to an avatar which made different story-related choices.

I personally prefer my MMO play to be about 85% solo, 15% multiplayer, and the multiplayer content to consist mainly of chatting (both rp and non), trading, and pug multiplayer minigames (including dungeons and pvp under this category). And I strongly prefer my characters to be immortal and protected from being steamrolled.

Hmm to me mmo is part of my life. Since i was introduced to mmos at 98/99 i have only played mmo games.

sunandshadow: Just wondering according to your play style why even bother playing mmo? whats the point. All that you can get from any game with multi-player support.

To me mmo is a world like any fictional world. A world with new rules, new contacts, new personalities to explore exploit and make footprint for my self.
Having an effect on the world and their players is for me very important.

Once explored once i understand most of the mechanics and usally get tierd of a game like Aion or WoW.
The one game i never really got tierd of was AC mostly because during thouse first years the developers where very very good with updating changing the world
having events that involved many people. Having town criers calling out about new adventures to find each new patch. It made you involve your self in the world and you became a part of it. Thay also had a very short tutorial. But instead made it so that if an other played adopted you as his vassel he would teach you the game while gaining benefit from having you as a vasssel.

But today in say wow you don't need to approach any other player till you are 80 and once you reach 80 you will probably be bored and or have missed most the fun parts of mmo anyway. I mean why play those glorified single player games with integrated multi player support? I mean even in new expansion of WoW me and my girlfriend got separated because we had progressed a quest at different speeds. she couldn't see me and i her even though geographically we stood beside each other.

Same goes for all those games calling them self mmo nowadays. Nowadays the definition of an MMO game is a lobby server with instanced games. Redicilus.

If the story is about the player then just make a single player game.

The main difference between all these different games "mmos" like wow and aion and games like diablo, cs and a game i would call REAL MMO is that in a real MMO the story isnt prewritten. The Story is ongoing and living, directed, but you can change it. Same goes for the world. Once a uberleet boss is dead he isn't a threat anymore hence he is dead for everyone. The ones who killed him is entwined into the story and the world. through developer updates and acknowledgment from npc's and such in the world. And the world is ever chaning. Creatures migrate lands terraform disasters happened towns destroyed rivers redirected lands and countries ever changing. All this by having the player as a nobody. When you start the game out you are a nobody and unless you choose to take part in the world you will still be a nobody. While the warlords conquering lands and leading armies against foul demons get the attention for their real world skills and leadership. The sage guiding newbies in the starting villages will get well known and respected by their peers long after he stops playing. Regardless the same should support the way you want to play. solo / pk / team / leader / crafter and so on. But the main focus should be that you are a nobody and none cares about you until you have made an effort to get recognized.

Why dosnt any of the number of MMO's we see today really make use of the Presistant world they are blessed with?

So in short
MMOS for me is about exploring and fun. Games should be fun. If a game isnt fun i dont play it.

Sorry for a long and messy post.
-Athos
-Truth is out there-
Quote:Original post by Athos
Hmm to me mmo is part of my life. Since i was introduced to mmos at 98/99 i have only played mmo games.

sunandshadow: Just wondering according to your play style why even bother playing mmo? whats the point. All that you can get from any game with multi-player support.

Please name a few games which deliver all that because I'm not aware of any. But, the essential part is the community, I mean there's no point getting awesome-looking clothes and a mount if no one sees them, there's no point thinking about economics and strategy if you can't discuss them with anyone else. One's roleplay identity within the world means more in the context of other players' shared imaginings, and one's feats of beating a boss, soloing a dungeon, finishing a quest, have meaning in the context that higher level players have done them before you and have nostalgia about it, while lower level players anticipate doing in the future and are impressed that you did it because they can't yet. I like to give tips and help to newbies, and see the interesting possessions higher level players have so I can form the goal of acquiring them myself. I love having other players in the world with me, I just don't want to be forced to fight either alongside them or against them. I like to do things at my own pace, and accomplish feats by myself, not with help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement