Can Anyone Explain Working Mechanism of Prioritized Dither in Steering Behaviors?

Started by
10 comments, last by phresnel 14 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, I want an explanation of "prioritized dither" technique for combing steering forces? Thanks in advance :)
Advertisement
Dude, after all these questions posted here I get the impression you're no closer to being able to find answers yourself. What's your goal here?

Alex

P.S. It's the 8th hit in Google, and there's a part in the book from the 2nd hit in Google -- which you probably got the term from in the first place.

Join us in Vienna for the nucl.ai Conference 2015, on July 20-22... Don't miss it!

I don't usually hijack threads, but this one was such a bad question that I don't care. :)

Wouldn't it make more sense to think about steering behaviors as utility functions that evaluate how happy we are with each possible vector? For instance, if there is a tree in my way, obstacle avoidance would say that it's a good idea to go either to the right or to the left, but not straight ahead. You can then combine steering behaviors by adding together these utility functions, and then you use some maximizer.

In some cases the animation only has a discrete set of possible steps to take next (I believe the sandbox alexjc is working on is of this type), so it would be very natural to simply evaluate the utility of each step and pick the best.

Do you know if anyone has tried something like this before?

Quote:Original post by alvaro
Do you know if anyone has tried something like this before?

This sounds like the navigation function or potential function stuff in the robotics literature, if you're not familiar with it already.
Quote:Original post by Emergent
This sounds like the navigation function or potential function stuff in the robotics literature, if you're not familiar with it already.

I just read a couple of short descriptions of what navigation functions are, and they are not exactly what I am suggesting, but they are related. Thanks for the name.

@alexjc
I've read the definition from different sources but I've not understand it clear and as a result I've got confused between Prioritized Dither & Prioritized Sum. So I'm asking here not actually to know definition of Prioritized Dither but to understand it completely so I can discover the differences between it and Prioritized Sum

Thanks AlexJC for replying

@alvaro
I've understand the context of using them but I don't understand what you mean by "In some cases the animation only has a discrete set of possible steps to take next"

Quote:Original post by ZiKaS
@alvaro
I've understand the context of using them but I don't understand what you mean by "In some cases the animation only has a discrete set of possible steps to take next"

Some locomotion systems (especially for two-legged characters) will have a limited set of animations that they can play to take a next step (literally a "step", as in "putting one foot in front of the other"). The locomotion system has to decide which is the next animation that will be played. I think a locomotion system could be built that could use several steering behaviors combining them by adding their utilities and picking the step that maximizes that sum. It's an architecture that seems intuitively good to me.
@alvaro
What are other systems that can make the same job as steering behaviors? And what's the new steering behavior offers when used there?

Thanks,
Quote:Original post by ZiKaS
@alvaro
What are other systems that can make the same job as steering behaviors?

Sorry, I am not an expert. I understand certain techniques, but I can't give you a big-picture view of the field.

Quote:And what's the new steering behavior offers when used there?

This question I simply don't understand.
@alvaro
Thanks for your reply

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement