Sign in to follow this  
Kingerthethird

Having problems with a Tetris-like game

I'm having an issue with a Tetris-like game I'm trying to make. Brief Overview: It's my first game, so I followed the recommendation in this article: How do I make games? A Path to Game Development and started with Tetris. Graphics are handled by SDL, and I wanted to make it able to run on both WinXP and Linux. I had it working for a while, but today while I was trying to fine tune the menus(The last bit of polish other than sounds), it broke. When you get into the actual game now, the blocks spin WAY too fast, and it crashes after only a short period of time. I'm not sure what I did to cause this, as far as I know, all I did was recompile and *CRACK*. I uploaded the source, and it can be downloaded here: http://www.easy-share.com/1907325371/Bricks Source.tar.gz with it's code blocks project as well. I'm going to try undoing the things I did this morning, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas, or if anyone was willing to compile it to see if they get the same issue. I think it may be an issue with SDL_GetTicks. Edit: Forgot about controls, which are the arrow keys, Enter, and Z and X to rotate. Up drops the piece as far as it can go.

Got it figured out, I had the wrong variable in one line of code. Now I'm only curious why it wasn't broken before now. I'll reup the source (Or even the executables) if anyone is interested. I know there was a thread here yesterday about a Tetris clone.

Quote:
Original post by Kingerthethird
I'm going to try undoing the things I did this morning

Learn about versioning software like CVS or subversion.

I run Tortoise SVN on my WinXP machine, but I'm kinda...between setups right now. I have a network drive I need to setup that has my development files on it, then I'll look into setting up a cross plat subversion software.

However, in this case, it wouldn't have helped.

Quote:
Original post by Kingerthethird
I run Tortoise SVN on my WinXP machine, but I'm kinda...between setups right now. I have a network drive I need to setup that has my development files on it, then I'll look into setting up a cross plat subversion software.

However, in this case, it wouldn't have helped.

Look into mercurial, it is a DVCS so you don't have to have a central server.