Game Audio

Started by
7 comments, last by KnightAdz 14 years, 8 months ago
I am trying to finish one of my first games, because most people here give the advice to finish as many of your projects as possible. The only thing is, I can't find any decent sound effects/music for my game. I have a few basic sounds that I created using a program that generates .wav files, but currently no music. I was just wondering how important you think it is for a beginner to include sounds in a game? My opinion would be that if you can show that you can do it, then it doesn't matter about the quality of the sound itself.
Advertisement
Sounds are vital.
Music is not nearly so important.

Didn't you already get this question answered somewhere recently? Sounds familiar...

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you get in the habbit of doing it now while you're just starting to learn it'll be easier to do it as you progress. Eventually it'll become second nature and you won't even think about it.
Sounds are not that bad. I am a one man team interested in free so here is what I do/use:

For sound effects:

1. Use Audacity with a microphone to record sound effects. Want some thunder, no problem let me grab the aluminum foil ( or wait for an actual storm )?

2. Soungle. Search for sounds.

3. Sound Snap. Sound database; 5 free sound downloads/month. Quality usually is decent.

For Music:

1. Psycle. Even I can make songs with this.

2. Mario Paint Composer. Retro arcade flavor, anyone?

You can also do a search for royalty free music, etc. If the quality concerns you, I am afraid you will need to pay a professional, but if you have a modicum of musical ability the options listed above may be useful to you.
Quote:Original post by signal_
2. Mario Paint Composer. Retro arcade flavor, anyone?

That software violates another party's IP. And it doesn't even work! :p

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks signal, those resources will be really useful I'm sure! And Tom, I haven't asked this before, and did search the boards before posting, so I'm not sure who you are thinking of. Thanks for the advice though.
As long as we're on the topic of game development and music, I was wondering, is Adobe Audition good for music/sound? My parents have it but I have no idea how to use it. But I know it has to do with music lol. So yeh, any thoughts on Adobe Audition? Or was I totally off and Audition has nothing to do with this?
Quote:Original post by buggy123
As long as we're on the topic of game development and music, I was wondering, is Adobe Audition good for music/sound? My parents have it but I have no idea how to use it. But I know it has to do with music lol. So yeh, any thoughts on Adobe Audition? Or was I totally off and Audition has nothing to do with this?

Wow. That software looks nasty. Consider yrself very lucky to have access to it. Read the data sheet [PDF]. The VST thing is the virtual instruments; it sounds like it comes with many cool instruments/effects. It probably is damn good. At the very least, you owe it to yrself to check it out; are yr parents musicians? They could prolly help with music theory, etc. if they are; otherwise there are many online music composition resources for beginners.

I am stuck with Mario Paint, which may or may not be infringing on someone else's IP. Although I heard on their forums that some Japanese guy with a mushroom on his hat said it's okay. How is the man on the street to know?

Also, regarding the VSTs, there are many for free and purchase for download online [here], for example.
I have also found this software for making sound effects which is quite good,
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2007/12/13/sfxr-sound-effects-for-all/

Just thought I would post it so others can use it too

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement