can't figure out visual studio c++

Started by
14 comments, last by daviangel 14 years, 8 months ago
I've recently decided to learn c++ to make games and i have a tiny bit of programming knowlege(i used to mess around with a program called game maker). at first i used the devc++ or whatever its called. but then through reading on this website i found that visual studio c++ express was a good choice so i downloaded that. But i cannot figure out how to compile stuff with it. Could anyone help me out?
Advertisement
Well, you've gotta first make a project. An empty one under General will do fine. Then make a new source file, and type in your code. Press the green arrow at the top, and it should compile.

Unless you have errors in your code of course.
How to use Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition:

1) Go to "File->New Project..."
2) Under the "Project Types", select "Visual C++", then "Win32".
3) On the right pane, select "Win32 Console Application".
4) Type the name of the project in the field labeled "Name".
5) Make a note of where the project will be created (the text field labeled "Location").
6) Click OK.
7) On the new dialog that appears, click "Next".
8) Click the "Empty Project" checkbox.
9) Click Finish.
10) Go to "Project->Add new Item..."
11) On the new dialog that appears, select "Visual C++", then "Code" on the left pane.
12) Select "C++ File (.cpp)" on the right pane.
13) Enter a name for the source file in the text field labeled "Name".
14) Click "Add".

*Originally posted here.
Quote:Original post by _fastcall
How to use Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition:

1) Go to "File->New Project..."
2) Under the "Project Types", select "Visual C++", then "Win32".
3) On the right pane, select "Win32 Console Application".
4) Type the name of the project in the field labeled "Name".
5) Make a note of where the project will be created (the text field labeled "Location").
6) Click OK.
7) On the new dialog that appears, click "Next".
8) Click the "Empty Project" checkbox.
9) Click Finish.
10) Go to "Project->Add new Item..."
11) On the new dialog that appears, select "Visual C++", then "Code" on the left pane.
12) Select "C++ File (.cpp)" on the right pane.
13) Enter a name for the source file in the text field labeled "Name".
14) Click "Add".

*Originally posted here.

Yeah if that's not easy enough for you, Microsoft actually provides a video on creating your first console app with C++ express at the very same spot where you can download it for free.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
it says that the project is out of date and there were build errors. im not sure what that means but im almost positive im not typing the code wrong.
Quote:Original post by Jake939
it says that the project is out of date and there were build errors. im not sure what that means but im almost positive im not typing the code wrong.

Maybe clean and rebuild?
What build errors?
how do i see what the errors are? all it says is theres a build error
If you make a change to the code and don't rebuild it (from the Build menu) then your project will be out of date, i.e. the changes you've made haven't been compiled yet. If you then try and start the program (from the Debug menu, or using the 'play' icon on the toolbar) then MSVC will tell you your project is out of date and offer to rebuild it for you.

If there are problems of any sort then you'll get errors, if you tell us what these were and perhaps show us the code the errors refer to (if they refer to code at all) then we can probably help. You can click on the Error List, or Output, tabs right at the bottom to see what the problems were.
There should be windows labelled "Output" and "Error List". If you don't see "Output" then press Alt-2. If you don't see "Error List" press Ctrl-\ followed by Ctrl-E. Both windows will show you what the build errors are. The "Output" window will be more verbose.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement