Sign in to follow this  
Mr Smith

OpenGL Collada file loading?

Hi everyone, We are busy with programming a graphics engine in OpenGL, but we face a little problem (rather a big one, if you aks me). We want to load Collada files in our engine. We have been looking for a way to do that, but until now we've only found FCollada and Collada DOM. But both libraries don't have much documentation. Could someone provide us with an in depth tutorial or example how to use one of these libraries? Thanks in advance. Mr Smith. [Edited by - Mr Smith on August 14, 2009 2:04:06 PM]

What I did was I wrote a program in C# using the .Net XML classes to pull all the data I needed out of the collada file and write it out to my own text based format that my c++ program could easily parse. It may not help you any but I thought I'd share.

[Edited by - santonel on August 15, 2009 12:29:52 AM]

I've had the same problem for something like a year now. Eventually I just abandoned collada. NeHe's got a good Milkshape3d loader, and you can derive a class for any other model type you'd need from the one it provides. MS3D is not a bad format anyway, so you may not need more than it provides. It'll take some specification studying to expand the one NeHe has, but at least you'll be making progress and not searching endlessly like I had to do for quite some time.

Look at the specification. The Collada DOM has a 1-1 correspondence with the spec and that is how I implemented my loader. Download the example collada files from here and try to first load the vertices, then the faces,material etc. It is true that Collada hasn't got much documentation online.
Also there is ASSIMP(though I haven't used it).

Hope this helps.

I've used Assimp, and I can tell that in the recent versions it loads most Collada files correctly. I'm also the maintainer of the Assimp Collada loader, so if you have files that fail the import or look weird when coming out of the loader, please send them to me. Preferrably small ones which clearly reproduce the issue :) Contact details are given at the page.

I don't know any good tutorials, but I'll share my own COLLADA loading code from my game engine. It converts .dae to my custom model format.
http://users.utu.fi/tmwire/aether3d/files/convert_dae.cpp
http://users.utu.fi/tmwire/aether3d/files/common.h

Thank you for all the replies.

@EngineCoder Thank you for the source code of your loader. I'm a beginner with file loading.
Is it possible that your loader doesn't handle animations?

@Schrompf I also thought of Assimp, but as I told you before I'm only a beginner. I've not found
a way to use Assimp in my engine.

I would like to make a loader that loads geometry, materials, animations and lights

Thanks for your help already.

Mr. Smith

Check out Assimp, put the directory in the same directory as your VisualStudio solution, load the solution, click "Add -> add existing project" in the context menu of your solution, choose the correct visual studio project, compile. you're done. Now you only need to include the assimp headers relative to your own headers and link against it.

[edit] Just to be more specific: this is one of the methods to integrate a third-party library into your projects. This is not specific to Assimp. Sooner or later you have to learn how to use third-party libs. But until then you can also try to write your own loader or adapt an existing one. It's just... according to my experiences, the Collada format specification is a bitch to load, full of over-engineered needless complexity. That's why you rarely find an implementation which is able to load most files and provides all the features a game needs. The Assimp loader is one of those, albeit not perfect. It supports scene graphs, instancing, meshes, skinning and bones, animations, materials, textures, lights, cameras. That's why I recommend it, even if the process of integrating and using a third-party library seems to be complicated when you're doing it the first time.

Sorry for the late reply, but I was on vacation.

@Schrompf I think I will use Assimp for my file loading.
Can you give me a tutorial how to load a file (Collada)?

[Edited by - Mr Smith on August 19, 2009 7:46:54 AM]

I used COLLADA DOM for my project. There is a book you can buy that has some examples in:

COLLADA: sailing the gulf of 3D digital content creation

I only got as far as geometry loading because the aim of the project was to wrap C# around the C++ but this may be worth investigating further. I did this project about 2 years ago and im quite suprised COLLADA hasn't taken off since...

Quote:
Original post by Mr Smith
@Schrompf I think I will use Assimp for my file loading.
Can you give me a tutorial how to load a file (Collada)?

Did you look into the lib's documentation? There's a little chapter in there which says the following:

#include <assimp.hpp> // C++ importer interface
#include <aiScene.h> // Output data structures
#include <aiPostProcess.h> // Post processing flags

bool DoTheImportThing( const std::string& pFile)
{
// Create an instance of the Importer class
Assimp::Importer importer;

// And have it read the given file with some example postprocessing
// Usually - if speed is not the most important aspect for you - you'll
// propably to request more postprocessing than we do in this example.
unsigned int flags = aiProcess_CalcTangentSpace | aiProcess_Triangulate | aiProcess_JoinIdenticalVertices;
const aiScene* scene = importer.ReadFile( pFile, flags);

// If the import failed, report it
if( !scene)
{
DoTheErrorLogging( importer.GetErrorString());
return false;
}

// Now we can access the file's contents.
DoTheSceneProcessing( scene);

// We're done. Everything will be cleaned up by the importer destructor
return true;
}

From there you need to simply copy the imported data into your own structures or buffers. If you already have simple rendering working, you can plug in the imported data. If not, you better get the rendering working first.

Bye, Thomas

Hi Schrompf,

I am also working on OpenGL ES 2.0 framework,that can load
Collada and .3ds file.But i am facing problem in Animatiom.
So what i have decided i will use only loader source code
from Assimp and put into my own framework.So just wanted to
ask that any dependency is there in code.Can i only extract the collada and .3ds loader from Assimp and feed the data into my own framewok.
Regards,
parmar.

You can probably get some pointers from the source, but copypaste it into your source won't work without hassle. a) I'm depending on the Assimp math classes alot, b) we use irrXml where we fixed several bugs to get it reliable and c) at the end the loader emits raw scenes. I rely on Assimp's post processing alot, for example to get indexed meshes, generate tangents/bitangents, coordinate space conversion, and several more.

If that doesn't stop you, feel free to try. The lib is under BSD license, you can use it freely for whatever you need. But it might be quicker to just use Assimp directly, and maybe add all the AI_NO_XYZ_LOADER defines to reduce it's size.

Thanks for your help.

How I can use Assimp directly in my OpenGL ES 2.0 framework,
so that no need to change anything.I just debuged Assimp i found that you people are using DirectX for rendering.
Regards,
Parmar.

Read the documentation. The Assimp library is a plattform-abstract library for loading 3D scenes from various file formats. It does not render anything in any way, it does not use the operating system except for memory allocation and file access. What you probably meant is AssimpView which has been developed in parallel. This viewer application is a little tool which uses the Assimp library to show all sorts of 3D files like maybe IrfanView does for pictures. But you don't need it, the core library works independently of the viewer. We should maybe change the name of it to avoid this confusion.

Is there someone who wants to give me some personal
support trough chat, because I've still got some
problems with Assimp. Please send me a PM.

(edit) I've problems with "DoTheErrorLogging" and "DoTheSceneProcessing".
I don't know how I must declare these functions.

Mr Smith.

[Edited by - Mr Smith on August 21, 2009 1:55:53 PM]

Quote:

(edit) I've problems with "DoTheErrorLogging" and "DoTheSceneProcessing".
I don't know how I must declare these functions.

That's correct. The names of the functions alone should tell you that these are placeholders where you put your own code. Nobody knows what data you engine expects and which structures you use to store them. That's why you have to write your own code there to translate Assimp data to your engine's data. Most of the time this will be a simple copy, but we can't tell that from the lib's side.

Yep, your post sounds pretty familiar to me as we had a similar search last year for a .net reader/writer solution...We just hate marshaling in the COLLADA DOM objects and things just got more messy when we actually started manipulating the objects.

After doing a lot of digging on the web, we never found anything that seemed to do what we needed so we ended up writing our own...It works pretty good and is being used in our commercial products.

Our COLLADA.net would be considered a viable alternative to the other solutions you previously mentioned.

Here's the link if you are interested:
http://www.mogware.com/index.php?page=collada.NET

Yep, your post sounds pretty familiar to me as we had a similar search last year for a .NET reader/writer solution...We just hate marshaling in the COLLADA DOM objects and things just tend to get more messy when you actually start manipulating the objects.

After doing a lot of digging on the web, we never found anything that seemed to do what we needed so we ended up writing our own...It works pretty good and is being used in our commercial products.

Our COLLADA.net would be considered a viable alternative to the other solutions you previously mentioned because you also get the source code making it more extensible.

Here's the link if you are interested:
http://www.mogware.com/index.php?page=collada.NET