Sign in to follow this  
jor1980

[SlimDx]Write half variable into a file

Hi i am trying to write a half variable into a file with a binarywriter in visualbasic but when i do it the binarywriter writes into the file four bytes.Are there any other method to write halfs into files?

There isn't any way at the moment. Half support is meant only for use in vertex declarations, as an optimization. There isn't much reason to avoid writing out four bytes when dealing with disk space.

On the other hand, if you think you really need it, you're free to modify the source to make the internal UInt16 value available for you to write out.

Quote:
Original post by Mike.Popoloski
There isn't any way at the moment. Half support is meant only for use in vertex declarations, as an optimization. There isn't much reason to avoid writing out four bytes when dealing with disk space.

On the other hand, if you think you really need it, you're free to modify the source to make the internal UInt16 value available for you to write out.

I was thinking that way, put the bits of the half into an int16, but i don´t know how could i do that

It's already done; that's how it's stored internally. If you do a check-out of the source and look in source/math/Half.h, you'll see that there's a UInt16 holding the value, it's just marked private. Make it public and you'll be able to use it.

Quote:
It's already done; that's how it's stored internally. If you do a check-out of the source and look in source/math/Half.h, you'll see that there's a UInt16 holding the value, it's just marked private. Make it public and you'll be able to use it.

i am using the SlimDx dll, have i do that in the code and then build a new dll or can i make it using only the dll?

Quote:

in the folder of slimdx i don´t have that, i have to look in the directx sdk?

Quote:

Please anyone coul tell where is that directory source/math/Half.h?Or where could i downnload it?