Sign in to follow this  
adt7

[.net] VS2008 and Source Control

Not sure this is the right forum, but seems the best place for it! I'm looking to set up some kind of source control for my project, but I'm not sure which is the best solution to use with VS2008. I've looked into SVN, but it seems the add-ins for VS leave a lot to be desired. What alternatives are there? I'm looking for something that won't disrupt my workflow (preferably hotkeys for commit, etc), and that preferably I can do all my interaction with through the VS interface. ... and finally, free would be preferable, or as close to free as it doesn't matter, this isn't a massive commercial project I'm working on.

I've always found IDE integration to be disruptive to my workflow, personally. But that said, there are a few VS integration options for SVN: AnkhSvn and VisualSvn. The former is free, the latter costs.

Perforce also has IDE integration and is free if you can conform to certain constraints. Check their website for info.

I've been using AnkhSvn for awhile now and really like it. Pretty similar to source safe as far as ide integration, which is probably why I like it.

I'm a happy VisualSVN customer and would never want to work without the IDE integration again. Refactoring without it would be really problematic, because subversion does not track file renaming transparently. With VisualSVN, however, I can happily refactor my code and the add-in tells subversion everything about the changes.

Another VisualSVN customer here, this plugin absolutely *rocks*. Seamless support for renaming and intelligent file exclusion control can really speed up your workflow. TortoiseSVN is good, but using it is quite a bit slower than VisualSVN. SVN from the commandline also works, but it's even slower.

The only thing I would like better is a VisualSVN equivalent for a better source control system (e.g. Bazaar). SVN is good, but has some significant flaws. Other systems are better but come with inferior tools: it's a tradeoff between power and usability.

Tortoise SVN works incredibly well with non exclusive checkouts... Especially the new server they just released.

We have 30+ developers on it with little or no issues.

Quote:
Original post by adt7
I've looked into SVN, but it seems the add-ins for VS leave a lot to be desired.
Just curious, what sort of features are you looking for? I've been using AnkhSVN for a while and it provides everything I need (to be honest, I don't make use of many of it's features, mostly just the fact that it automatically tracks moves/renames/etc in the IDE - most of my main source control work is outside the IDE anyway).

As a minor point, the 2.1 of AnkhSVN is pretty nice. It fixed all those little things I hated about the older version (renaming files comes to mind) and integrates into VS2008 a lot more.

We were using Ank and Tortoise here up till last month. Now we're using Team Fortress Foundation Server, and to be completely honest, it blows. I want SVN back. Oh, and I'm usually considered an MS fan boy (but honestly, I like whatever is good).

i have visualsvnserver on installed on my windows home server, and visualsvn installed.

my artistic friends just use tortoise svn to access it (and the apple freak something else, dunno :)).

works quite well.

edit: i'm considering tortoise-svn other type of projects onto the server, too (music projects in ableton live mainly right now).