ideal free c++ compiler for game development

Started by
5 comments, last by smitty1276 14 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I am looking for a free c++ compiler that's ideal for game development, both 2d and 3d. However, I also want it to do general programming tasks as well. May someone please point me in the right direction?
-----------------------Are you breaking into the world of game development, and are finding yourself lost?I am also a beginner, whose here to get lost-and find his way back-for you. Check out my blog You will(hopefully) learn bunches, alongside me.*Last update: 1/1/10*New Theme!
Advertisement
For what platform?
http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
For what platform?

Pc mostly... console games are probably a VERY distant possibility.

Thanks dancin fool, I will try that.

I have one more question, to save forum space:

How do I download libraries and use them?(i.e. what folder do I put them in, how do I reference them, etc)

-----------------------Are you breaking into the world of game development, and are finding yourself lost?I am also a beginner, whose here to get lost-and find his way back-for you. Check out my blog You will(hopefully) learn bunches, alongside me.*Last update: 1/1/10*New Theme!
That's a bit more of a complicated question and really depends on the library itself.

You should definitely take a look at grabbing boost, tons of useful stuff in it.

http://www.boost.org/

For rendering if you're on Windows you'll need to grab the Directx SDK which you can grab from Microsoft's website. Or you can go with OpenGL, but I'm not as familiar with what you'll need for that, been a while since I did any OpenGL dev.
Thank you again, dancin fool. I will take a look at that.
Libraries can be anywhere you want them.... you just have to add their locations to your library path, either in the IDE or in the project settings (assuming you are you using Visual Studio as linked above).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement