Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Blanch

Question about creating a direct3d device vb.net

Hi. Thanks for taking your time to have a look at this thread. :) I'm using DirectX 9 and what i want to know is about creating a Direct3d device. The first parameter is the adapter. Do you always use the default adapter, which is number 0? What happens if for example you have 2 graphic adapters on your computer, and 2 monitors, 1 adapter for each monitor, and you specify 0 as the adapter. You then play the game on both monitors, does the game fail to create the device on one of the monitors because you specify 0 as the adapter for both of the monitors. If someone could clear this up for me it would be great. Thanks. Matthew Blanch.

If you want to create a full screen device you need to specify the adapter that is responsible for this monitor. In the case of window mode you can use any adapter but it is still recommend creating the device on that adapter that shows the window. The reason for this is that transfer the render result to another adapter can be a heavy operation that slows anything down.

In the case of Direct3D 9 This is although true for one adapter with multiple monitors as 9 uses one adapter per monitor. Therefore there could be multiple Direct3D adapters for one physical GPU.