Sign in to follow this  
stevemazzaro

Electronic effects in orchestral music

Everyone's heard this, or at least heard of this; the orchestra is playing harsh staccatos (ie.) while you hear a 16th note pattern in the background (or other various effects). I was wondering if anyone had any tips on making these sounds, or if there is any libraries. I've tried recording stuff to an audio track (ie. snare drum, vocals, guitars, etc.) and using a couple of plugins to mask the original sound to get more of an electronic-y feel, and while it does work, it ends up sounding very amateur. I may be using out-of-date plugins, however. Here's an example of what I'm talking about: RSMainTheme Any tips or advice would be greatly apprectiated.

I don't know if i fully understand your question but It just sounds like a mixing issue.

When re-creating orchestral instruments, or any acoustic ones, you have to pay a lot of attention to dynamics.

Personally I use A LOT of volume automation along with different note velocities to replicate the dynamics of an orchestra, as there is a wide range of volume to play with.

There's really nothing special about this theme or plug-ins that they appear to be using. However they're using excellent orchestral samples and a lot of dynamic range.... this can be achieved by a combination of mixing/volume-automation/midi-velocity

best,
Ian

www.ianbuczkowski.com

Thanks, Jaap. Is there anything out there that would be a little cheaper? I don't do this stuff enough to spend $400 on it :).

Ian -

What I was referring to was the electronic element in the orchestral cue.