understanding models and effects

Started by
0 comments, last by NumberXaero 14 years, 8 months ago
This is a dumb question but im a little confused about models and effects. I know nothing about modeling just programming so bare with me. Its a little hard for me to explain. Do some modeling programs (like 3ds max) allow you to attach a particle effect to the object all saved in the same file. Say a helm that glows. so the particle effects params are actually filled using the modeling program. if you can do this how do you render. are the effect params in the file itself like velocity speed vector birth death ect like what you would find in a normal particle system structure. or am i completely comfused and modeling programs effects are not true particle systems but animations using frames. ive never looked at a modeling programs file structure so I am not aware what is actually included.
Advertisement
Usually no. Both are usually done by artists, but usually done separately. Most engines will have some sort of particle effect designer as a part of the engines tools, and the tools will allow for placement of the particle effects in the world or attached to objects as part of a game effect. 3DS Max is usually used for modeling, animation, cinematics, and creation of pieces to go in the game world. It could be used for particle effect creation, but would probably be done through a plugin made specifically for the game. For instance, nVIDIAs physx physics SDk has a plugin for 3DS max that allows laying out physics scenes and exporting them. It can be done, certainly, its just usually a tool on its own, unrelated to 3DS max or a plugin. Most model package formats wont focus on particles.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement