Implementing Navigation Mesh

Started by
12 comments, last by all_names_taken 14 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by jyk
Quote:There are, but they inevitably add complexity: as soon as you have agents with different footprints, the difficulty of determining whether a particular corridor is actually walkable skyrockets, simply by becoming nontrivial. Keeping separate navmeshes for differently sized agents (or, more likely, for a small number of conservative "size" categories) keeps things simple, usually with a pretty small additional memory cost. Of course, in some environments any additional memory cost is dear-bought.
I can only speak from my own experience, but I use a single navigation mesh for all agents and haven't found the complexities to be insurmountable. Complexity is certainly *added*, but I don't know that it skyrockets.

For someone who is new to pathfinding or to navigation meshes, it would probably be easiest to use multiple navmeshes (although there is still the issue of geometry expansion to contend with).

My own experience though is that using a single navmesh for all agent sizes is a perfectly viable option.

Do you know any links or references to where I could read more about how to navigate different sized creatures using a single navmesh?
Advertisement
Quote:Do you know any links or references to where I could read more about how to navigate different sized creatures using a single navmesh?
The most comprehensive reference I've found on the subject is this paper.
Quote:Original post by iuliushide
http://www.ai-blog.net/archives/000152.html

Very helpful link. ++rating
Quote:Original post by jyk
Quote:Do you know any links or references to where I could read more about how to navigate different sized creatures using a single navmesh?
The most comprehensive reference I've found on the subject is this paper.

Thanks, that answers all my questions and more!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement