Sign in to follow this  
rewolfer

GLSL check for bound texture

I was wondering if GLSL can check whether a texture is bound to a sampler2D or not. The shader should use the material's diffuse colour if there is no texture bound, and I'm trying to use the best approach. I could send a uniform specifying whether to use texture/diffuse. Also, what affect do branches have on shader performance? I know in CUDA if there is branching with a half-warp then each branch/path is executed in serial. But in my case all vertices/fragments being rendered together will have the same material/texture properties because i render the meshes per material. What is the usual way people go about this?

You can't check, in other words, there isn't a boolean value to tell you if a texture is there.

Branches cause loss of performance, specially in fragment shader. That's the reason why if a branch doesn't contain much code, the GLSL compiler will get rid of the branch and just execute each branch and choose one of the results.

uniform vec4 NoTexture; //You upload this
//If no texture, set it to {1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0}

vec4 texel = texture2D(Texture0, TexCoord);
texel = clamp(texel+NoTexture, 0.0, 1.0);
texel *= Diffuse;
gl_FragColor = texel;

thanks for the info
i don't want to be using the Diffuse if there is a texture present though, and your method will use a combination texel*diffuse. I'm going to try using this:

gl_FragColor = NoTexture * diffuse + texel;

assuming texel = (0,0,0,0) if no texture is bound

thanks again
rewolfer

I think if there is no texture bound, then {1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0} gets returned.
The solution is simple, bind a black texture.