Sign in to follow this  
m4x30000

DirectSound

Hi! So I am here at the peak of my discouragement regarding DirectSound :( I have found a bunch of tutorials, but none seams to lead to a working solution ? Whether they: - are outdated - use non existing libraries (dmusici.h?) - are in C# - teach you how to init DirectSound and then tells you "now you just load a wav file and stream it!" (and... how?) I can initialize dsound and everything works fine... but how do I load a wav file to stream it ? I know dsound does not have any function to load wav files, I need to use mmioOpen(); but this leaves me with a MMIOINFO structure filled with loads of data I don't really know how to handle ? Right now, in my quest to understand dsound, I think I need a memory address of the wav data so I can lock the streaming buffer, copy this data (not the entire wav file if it's too big), then unlock the buffer, then call play to... play it ? can someone point me to any info about this, or send me their own code in c++ so I can learn from it ?? I think only getting this pointer to the wav data would be enough, msdn have all the info (i think) from this point to play whether small files using static buffers, or large file using a streaming method. thanks for any help! m@x.

Dude... Next time try using the search box here... You'll come up with loads of GameDev links.

Anyway, below is a link that might be useful. Some dude called TerrorFLOP posted some stuff that might be useful to ya.

Good Luck!

DirectSoundLink

Last I checked, DirectSound is on it's way out. Nowadays, the emphasis is on XAudio 2 and XACT. Both have reasonable examples in the DirectX SDK.

[Edited by - n00body on August 16, 2009 5:07:07 PM]