Cool collision methods

Started by
8 comments, last by PsycoBlade 22 years, 9 months ago
In my adventure game i''m programming, I load a BSP and a MAX/PRO of the level. I then use the BSP as collision (I just don''t render it in my game loop) and render the PRO. This works like a dream, and I heard that you were going to make a special feature like this. That would be really neat, especially if the BSP didn''t load textures and stuff. I hope to see that feature soon . -Rich
Advertisement
Wow, that''s a really good idea, I''ll have to remember that.
Thats a great idea
Chris, can you comment on this please? Just wanna make sure if it doesn''t have any downsides and if this feature Pyschoblade mentioned is planned?

Thanks alot

Yes it will be added. I can make it load only the collision information keep save memory.

The only question I have is what is the best way to create the meshes. Do you create a MAX mesh first, then import it into Q3Radiant and then draw your shapes to fit around it, or start with Q3Radiant first?

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
I was wondering, what are some of the advantages to Max Mesh over BSP? What is the downside to just leaving it as a BSP as opposed to making a Mesh instead?

Thanks
1) Meshes will render faster
2) You can use them with the terrain shadow routines
3) You can have more polygons in the rendered mesh than the BSP used for collision.

quote:Original post by ChrisE

The only question I have is what is the best way to create the meshes. Do you create a MAX mesh first, then import it into Q3Radiant and then draw your shapes to fit around it, or start with Q3Radiant first?

Hi,
Sorry to bring back the topic to the top but what is the answer? Have you decided yet Chris? Should we be using Max and then duplicate with BSP or start with Q3Radiant?

I was also wondering how could we import it into Q3Radiant like you mentioned. I have searched for hours and hours with no luck on finding a Max to BSP converter. How would this be done?

Can you please explain how this would be done?
Really appreciate it

Thanks Alot
To quote Psycoblade''s email:

"If you go into 3dmax and set the grid spacing to 8, and major lines every 8th, then it has the *EXACT* same scale as the BSP, as in NO scaling will be needed on either part for them to fit
together. This way its super easy to make a collision mesh (all I do is just have 3dmax open and look at the lengths of the walls and such and draw a BSP surface the same length at the same coordinates."

There are probably some 3DS converters. Here is a link to one I haven''t tried yet:

ftp://ftp.canvasnet.com/quake/utils/levels/3ds2map.zip

quote:Original post by ChrisE
To quote Psycoblade''s email:

"If you go into 3dmax and set the grid spacing to 8, and major lines every 8th, then it has the *EXACT* same scale as the BSP, as in NO scaling will be needed on either part for them to fit
together. This way its super easy to make a collision mesh (all I do is just have 3dmax open and look at the lengths of the walls and such and draw a BSP surface the same length at the same coordinates."

There are probably some 3DS converters. Here is a link to one I haven''t tried yet:

ftp://ftp.canvasnet.com/quake/utils/levels/3ds2map.zip

Which method would you suggest? Using a converter or doing it manually with 8 grid spacing and such?

Sorry for taking up your time.

To make things a little clearer I mean that q3radiant has grid size of 8 with major lines every 8th. so if you set 3dmax grid to 8/8 the grids would match up in the two programs (q3radiant and max).

-Rich

Edited by - PsycoBlade on July 19, 2001 3:56:43 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement