Sign in to follow this  
Britmonkey

Windows Programming

I have just finished a book introducing me to C++ programming which covered all the main concepts such as classes, polymorphism etc. Please can somebody suggest a great book/online tutorial where I can learn windows programming. I want to be able to use directx ultimately as well. It would also be really helpful if you could say how you learnt to program for windows as well.

You don't neccesarily have to jump straight into Win32/DirectX coding, practice using SDL or a graphics engine like Ogre3D are good too.

That said, there's nothing wrong with going that path if you want, i'd suggest here. Very good website to learn the basics of Win32 and Directx from.

I suggest cross referencing. One source is usually not enough. There are plenty of books out there. I suggest "Beginning Game Programming" By Johnathan S. Harbour

It's a decent book for beginners and he covers lots of basic windows programming, then moves on to DirectX 9

Anyways, my point is, don't always rely on one source, and re-read. Things will be like "wtf is this guy talking about" the first time you see it, but after seeing it over and over, it soon clicks all together.

btw, I'm taking the same path as you (though probably less knowledge on C++) and I'm faring...pretty well considering I've only been at it for 2 weeks. So stick with it and it will make sense...kinda. lol

Charles Petzold's "Programming Windows" is generally considered to be the definitive book on the Win32 API -- if there's any one book you should have, its this one.

He's also written books on Windows Form and WPF programming, which are more modern takes on Windows GUI programming in .Net languages.

Read the Bible, the Petzold (http://www.charlespetzold.com/pw5/index.html), then the Richter (http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Applications-Microsoft-Windows-General/dp/1572319968) and the Win32 ng (news://comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32) for (very) advanced and undocumented stuff - like source code for most apis (Shell, Kernel, GDI ..)

Quote:
Original post by Satharis
That said, there's nothing wrong with going that path if you want, i'd suggest here. Very good website to learn the basics of Win32 and Directx from.

If I may, that website is not really a good place to learn from. The tutorials don't do any kind of error checking, which is a terrible idea, because if anything goes wrong your application will crash and you'll have no clue as to what exactly failed.

I recommend Evil Steve's tutorial instead. It's much more complete.