Sign in to follow this  
LukasBanana

SoftPixel Engine

Hi, this is my first thread here and I want to present you my 3d engine: the "SoftPixel Engine" available on Sourceforge (zlib/lib license) using OpenGL 2.0, Direct3D9 and it's own SoftwareRenderer for C++. The design of the function- and class names looks like in the Irrlicht Engine. But it's complete different! It's in version 1.7 and you can download it from sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/softpixelengine/ Or from the engine's homepage: http://softpixelengine.sourceforge.net/ Please give it a try and give me feedback for the engine and the pre-compiled samples and tutorials =) Thanks and kind regards from Germany, Lukas [Edited by - LukasBanana on August 17, 2009 9:10:34 AM]

I bummed around your source out of curiosity. It seems impressive and well done. However, I don't think anyone will be very interested in using a brand new engine when there are others that have been around long enough to mature and have the bugs worked out.

It you made a full featured game with it, or had something that set it apart from the other engines, you might get more people interested.

Might want to think about adding at least MSVC++ 2005 projects as well. I'm not going to install a new IDE to look at the engine nor do I want to try and figure out what source files are supposed to go in what.

Hey it looks great! Judging from the screenshots on your site, it seems like you've done some really nice work, and being the single person to developed it is admirable. Again, good work! It would be great if you put it into action by developing some game with it ;)
Cheers!

lol almost everything is like Irrlicht - like you can forget you're actually not using it ;)

btw, just asking: Is SoftPixel has any special feature that Irrlicht doesn't have? I mean everything looks the same.

Does the IrrlichtEngine have an integrated sound-system? SPE does!
Does the IrrlichtEngine have an integrated network-system? SPE does!
How many standard primitives does the IrrlichtEngine have? The SPE has 16!
Does the IrrlichtEngine support the AVI Video Format -> MovieToTexture? The SPE does!
Does the IrrlichtEngine support the Half-Life 1 BSP FileFormat? The SPE does (incomplete, but in progress)

In my point of view the SoftPixel Engine is more easy then the IrrlichtEngine.
e.g. 2D Drawing is more easy and you have much more 2D functions.

PS: yes, the API is similar but just the design ;-)

I notice SoftPixel Model (SPM).
Does it support skeletal animation?
Does it exist any exporters for Maya, 3D studio max or Blender?
How easy would it be to use Bullet physics with this engine? (because it looks like you only got collision detection in the engine)
Is there built in shadows and lights support?

Does it support skeletal animation?
-> Yes, it supports skeletal animation, keyframe animation and node animation.

Does it exist any exporters for Maya, 3D studio max or Blender?
-> No, not yet. But the architecture of it is very easy and it should not be difficult to created an exporter when somebody knows phyton.

How easy would it be to use Bullet physics with this engine? (because it looks like you only got collision detection in the engine)
-> The engine has only integrated collision detection, no physics. But to integrate physics engines like "Newton Game Dynamics", "OpenDynamicEngine" or others is also not difficult.

Is there built in shadows and lights support?
-> Yes, there are build in shadows: ShadowVolumes using the stencil buffer (supported with OpenGL and Direct3D9)
also lights (direction, point, spot, ambient and volumetric) are supported.
The upcoming release will handle the lights better when using more than 8 light sources.

kind regards
Lukas

It looks interesting, for sure. I'm actually looking for a commercial replacement for my [outdated] framework, and don't want to write a new one from scratch so something like this holds a lot of promise to me.

However, some things that it would have to support before I'd personally use it commercially.

(1) Mac support. You already have an OGL renderer, so a port for the Mac would be a good idea.

(2) Static lib distribution. I don't mind building the source myself, but to even get to that point, I'd want to quickly write up some tech demos (like in an hour) to test out the framework -- static libs are the easiet way for me to accomplish that.

(3) Ogg vorbis support. MP3 simply won't work for a lot of commercial developers.

(4) The ability to only build needed components. Working primarily with 2D games, it would be nice to minimze executable footprint by excluding all unneeded code. The code base might already be structured to support this, as I haven't browsed the source...yet :)

Have any commercial titles been released yet (shareware, retail, whatever)? The only other thing, is knowing how support is in the long run. When making a switch to a new framework, I want it to be at least a 3 year commitmet. Sure, I can build the source how I want if I come across problems, but I vastly prefer having reliable support from the dev/community.

All in all, it looks good, and I'll browse the source tonight and perhaps have some more technical feedback later.

To port the engine on Mac is a good idea. But I am not using a Mac and I never wrote programs for Mac, so this part must be asumed by you.
There are as well no commercial titles using my engine.
The problem of the ogg format is, that the SPE is using WinMM (Windows MultiMedia) for sound output.
So the sound sub-system must be written complete new for Mac or other OS.

As a matter of principle commercial using with my engine is possible.
You can cut part out you don't need.

If you decided to use the engine and develop games with it, you can join the forum at:
HLC Games board with the SPE sub-forum (english community).

Lukas