Sign in to follow this  
cache_hit

Deadlock in the D3D10 reference driver?

I'm trying to start learning D3D10, but I don't have a Windows Vista physical machine available. So I decided to try running Vista under VMWare Workstation with the reference driver. I'm using Frank Luna's D3D10 book. I appear to get stuck in a deadlock in the D3D Reference Driver code, with a callstack of the following: ntdll.dll!_KiFastSystemCallRet@0() ntdll.dll!_ZwWaitForMultipleObjects@20() + 0xc bytes kernel32.dll!_WaitForMultipleObjectsEx@20() - 0x51 bytes kernel32.dll!_WaitForMultipleObjects@16() + 0x18 bytes D3D10Ref.DLL!KMDevice::WaitFor<KMContext::AvailableDMABuffer>() + 0x5d bytes D3D10Ref.DLL!KMContext::Render() + 0x1f1 bytes D3D10Ref.DLL!_D3DKMTRender@4() + 0x47 bytes dxgi.dll!CD3D10Device::RenderCB() + 0x113 bytes D3D10Ref.DLL!UMDevice::SubmitRenderData() + 0xaf bytes D3D10Ref.DLL!UMDevice::ReserveRenderData() + 0x33 bytes D3D10Ref.DLL!UMDevice::ClearRenderTargetView_Default() + 0x1e bytes d3d10core.dll!CDevice::ID3D10Device_ClearRenderTargetView_() + 0xb7 bytes This happens as you can see when I call ClearRenderTargetView. Strangely it appears to be stuck waiting for a DMA buffer. This is on the main application thread, and the other thread (which appears to have been created by the Direct3D Runtime, even though I selected D3D10_CREATE_DEVICE_SINGLETHREADED), has a callstack of the following: > D3D10Ref.DLL!CHWDevice::ExecClearDepthStencilView() + 0x99 bytes D3D10Ref.DLL!CHWDevice::ExecuteDMAStream() + 0x2bb bytes D3D10Ref.DLL!CHWDevice::ThreadProc() + 0x4e bytes msvcrt.dll!__endthreadex() - 0x2b bytes msvcrt.dll!__endthreadex() + 0xf2 bytes kernel32.dll!@BaseThreadInitThunk@12() + 0x12 bytes ntdll.dll!___RtlUserThreadStart@8() + 0x27 bytes ntdll.dll!__RtlUserThreadStart@8() + 0x1b bytes Should I just chalk this one up to VMWare, and forget about learning d3d10 until I get a physical box with Vista on it? Or has anyone ever seen something like this before and perhaps I'm just doing something stupid? For reference, my draw function looks like this: device_->ClearRenderTargetView(renderTargetView_, background_); device_->ClearDepthStencilView(depthStencilView_, D3D10_CLEAR_DEPTH|D3D10_CLEAR_STENCIL, 1.0f, 0); It almost looks like the second call queues asynchronously to a worker thread and can't complete, so the next time around through the loop the first call deadlocks waiting for it to complete.