Animation question.

Started by
6 comments, last by MSW 14 years, 7 months ago
Well it's pretty simple, I'm not sure which type of animation I should use for side stepping. Should I make one leg go behind the other to do a side step or should I just twist the wast so that the legs are walking sideways while the upper torso is facing forward. There are benefits to both both methods: If I use the twisted wast method I will not need to make a new animation for side stepping but I will have to write special code to make the animation work right. If I use the standard side stepping method I will have to create an animation which I have no reference material for unlike my forward walk cycle. What should I do?
Remember Codeka is my alternate account, just remember that!
Advertisement
it depends.
If it's a small project (read: non commertial/isn't made to show your artistic skills) then go for the twisted waist.
otherwise you'll have to make a new animation for every character able to sidestep.
Quote:Original post by CodaKiller
Well it's pretty simple, I'm not sure which type of animation I should use for side stepping. Should I make one leg go behind the other to do a side step or should I just twist the wast so that the legs are walking sideways while the upper torso is facing forward.

There are benefits to both both methods:

If I use the twisted wast method I will not need to make a new animation for side stepping but I will have to write special code to make the animation work right.

If I use the standard side stepping method I will have to create an animation which I have no reference material for unlike my forward walk cycle.

What should I do?

If it's "the standard side-stepping method" it should be easy to get reference material - you can't take screencaps of a character side-stepping or find a youtube video that shows it? Or even have a friend record you doing the motion with a camera phone or something.

Twisting the waist 90 degrees will looks half-assed because it's physically incorrect, but perhaps it would be useful to you to use this as a functional placeholder animation and replace with a better one later.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You always have at least one reference available: yourself. Even if you can't record yourself, you can go through the motion and figure out where your limbs are, then replicate that in the program you're using to make the animations, and tweak it until it looks good.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
just ask yourself the question, are you taking your animation seriously? do you want people to take you seriously? if so then do the best that you can possibly do.
get a mirror and sidestep yourself and watch how you move.
http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/search.php?subjectnumber=%&motion=%

Go there and search the page for "sideways"
[size="3"]Thrones Online - Tactical Turnbased RPG
Visit my website to check out the latest updates on my online game
On the animation ideal. if its all skelaton then you could do it for humaniod character one single time. I like the ideal of having an look up library myself where the animation is store in a data base that is seperate from the actual model this alows you to match many of the exist animation together. the only extra work i know of is the tagging system which some animator do and like anyways so nothing bad there.
Bring more Pain
Unless this is a walking/running simulation, I would go with the twisted waist approch. Might not be 100% realistic, but then people sidestepping as quickly as they run forward isn't either.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement