Sign in to follow this  
akaitora

Managed Delegate to unmanged function pointer...

Hi guys. I keep getting a compile error that makes no sense to me. I am trying to convert a managed delegate to a function pointer. I am using the following msdn tutorial to do so. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/367eeye0(VS.80).aspx The code I wrote looks like so in the header

delegate int GetTheAnswerDelegate(int, int);

int GetNumber(int n, int m) {
   Console::WriteLine("[managed] callback!");
   return n + m;
}
in my constructor I wrote the following
	GetTheAnswerDelegate^ fp = gcnew GetTheAnswerDelegate(&CubeTrisApp::FlashController::GetNumber);
The error I keep getting is Error 1 error C3352: 'int CubeTrisApp::FlashController::GetNumber(int,int)' : the specified function does not match the delegate type 'int (int,int)' However it looks like my GetNumber function matches my delegate. Any ideas? Thanks!

You can't create a delegate around a native function; use Marshal.GetDelegateForFunctionPointer instead. (At least, I'm assuming we're looking at a native function here.)

GetTheAnswerDelegate^ fp = gcnew GetTheAnswerDelegate(CubeTrisApp::FlashController::GetNumber);

Taking the "&" out gets me the following error.

error C3867: 'CubeTrisApp::FlashController::GetNumber': function call missing argument list; use '&CubeTrisApp::FlashController::GetNumber' to create a pointer to member
1>.\FlashController.cpp(59) : error C3350: 'CubeTrisApp::FlashController::GetTheAnswerDelegate' : a delegate constructor expects 2 argument(s)

gcnew GetTheAnswerDelegate(&CubeTrisApp::FlashController::GetNumber); requires that the GetNumber method be static. If it's an instance method you also need to pass the object reference:

using namespace System;

delegate int GetTheAnswerDelegate(int, int);

ref class TestClass
{
public:
TestClass()
{
GetTheAnswerDelegate^ fp = gcnew GetTheAnswerDelegate(this, &TestClass::GetNumber);
}

int GetNumber(int n, int m)
{
Console::WriteLine("[managed] callback!");
return n + m;
}
};

Also, I hope you have a genuine reason for using C++/CLI such as the desire to interop with native components, otherwise you'll be in a world of awkwardness and oddities.