What I need to know to make a 2d game...

Started by
13 comments, last by WazzatMan 14 years, 8 months ago
What do I need for a 2d game like flash games u can see on websites or a "small" 3d one.
Advertisement
Art
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
you need to know a language like C# or python and then an API which deals with 2D games. Like SDL its very easy to learn and gives you a great foundation towards any 3d games you would like to do. And you also need to know how to draw sprites for your games. following the lazy- foo tutorials on SDL will get you well on your way to making a 2d game.

Game Development Tutorials - My new site that tries to teach LWJGL 3.0 and OpenGL to anyone willing to learn a little.

Quote:you need to know a language like C# or python and then an API which deals with 2D games. Like SDL its very easy to learn and gives you a great foundation towards any 3d games you would like to do. And you also need to know how to draw sprites for your games. following the lazy- foo tutorials on SDL will get you well on your way to making a 2d game.

I think the OP was specifically asking about browser games. In which case, it's either Flash, JavaFx, or Silverlight:

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/overview/default.aspx

I'm not sure, but I think Silverlight is part of Visual Studio Express nowadays:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/

Yep, it is:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/pages/silverlight-tutorial-part-1-creating-quot-hello-world-quot-with-silverlight-2-and-vs-2008.aspx

Mmm, makes me hunger for my Web Development days.

For Flash, you'll need either Flash IDE (the authoring tool, not the player) or Flex. If you're a programmer you can use the command-line Flex compiler as part of the free Flex 3 SDK (check the links on the right), then you can write your apps in ActionScript 3. Designers and artists will probably be more comfortable with the Flash IDE, which you need to pay for.

For Flex Builder or the Flash IDE you'll need to spend money, but if you're a student you can get a discount. Adobe sells two different academic versions, Student and Education. Student is cheapest but can only be used for learning purposes (non-commercial), plus I think it expires when you're no longer a student (not fully sure on that one). Education is a bit more expensive, but the license is exactly the same as the full version so you can keep it after you graduate and use the software on projects to make money.
u see thats the problem... I dont want any ready engine on wich I will make my 2d game.. I want to make it from nothing all by my own even spirits and everything.
Quote:Original post by D4n1s
u see thats the problem... I dont want any ready engine on wich I will make my 2d game.. I want to make it from nothing all by my own even spirits and everything.

For one the Flash authoring tool isn't an engine, its the tool to make flash files. If you don't want to use any tools at the least you aren't going to get very far.

Also, even if it was an 'engine', a good rule of thumb for making things is to not try and code everything from scratch. Most libraries are written by very knowledgeable people that spent countless hours optimizing the code the best they can. As the old saying goes: Write games, not engines.

The problem with this attitude is that it can always be taken further. Where do you stop? Does Flash do 'too much'? Does Visual Studios? Does a C++ compiler? Does notepad in which you write your hand-made assembly? Does MS Paint which you use to draw you sprites? How about Windows?

Clearly you can't rewrite all that every time you write a game. Building upon others' past work is an essential skill towards getting things done whether it is in software or not. (I want to build a house, but I'm going to have to make my own hammer. And my own circular saw. And cut my own lumber.) At some point you have to decide "okay, I'll use this." So how far do you want to go? If you're not willing to use Flash or similar tools (a mistake, IMO), I will recommend next seeing if you're willing to use Python with a library like SFML or PyGame. If not that, C# with SlimDX or XNA. If not that, C or C++ with SFML or SDL or similar. I would not recommend going any further 'down' than that.

Then it sounds like you'll want the free Flex SDK from my link above. I haven't used it myself (I've got Flash), but it's a command-line compiler, no kind of engine involved. Just feed it your ActionScript files and it spits out a SWF Flash file you can run in Flash Player or in your browser.

Flex Builder and the Flash IDE aren't engines either, they just make it easier to work with Flash. If you just want to work with code, you can get by with the Flex SDK. It's also a bonus that it's free.

I'd at least have a look at some of the nice libraries out there to help you make Flash games; they can make your life a lot easier. flixel looks nice; I'm going to play around with it this week to see what it can do.
yeah I got ur point..... I want to make a game like those on mame32 if u ever played. simple ones at all. I dont want to use any ready engine coz the things I am able to script and do are limited and thats not good for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement