Sign in to follow this  

static const member variables

This topic is 3041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I received the following errors while trying to compile my program: error C2864: 'GameStates::PlayGameState::firstTry' : only static const integral data members can be initialized within a class The error occurs on the line "bool firstTry = true;" Since I have plenty of variables above this call that work just fine, I'm going to take a guess that the error has to do with the bool type. I only say this because the firstTry declaration is the only bool variable declared. Am I on the right track here?

Standard fiat. That's just the way the language is defined. It gets changed in C++0x, but you apparently aren't using a C++0x compiler.

class PlayGameState{
public:
PlayGameState() : firstTry(true){}

/*...*/

bool firstTry;
};

Use an initialization list to initialize variables in classes.

Quote:
Original post by zoner7
furthermore, what am I suppose to do if I don't want the variable to be constant.

Just don't initialize your variables within the class declaration. Have the constructor set it to true.

EDIT: like caldiar said.

This topic is 3041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.