Sign in to follow this  
Uphoreum

Passing Structs to a Dynamically Loaded DLL

I've been looking into dynamically loading DLLs to create a modular plug-in architecture. All the examples I've seen only pass basic C types like int, char, and void* through the function pointers. Is it not possible/a bad idea to send custom struct instances to a dynamically loaded DLL? If so, do I just pass void pointers around? Thanks!

Is the dll one you wrote? If so what's the problem? A dynamic dll is loaded into the same address space as a statically linked dll. The address space belongs to the process. That address space includes dynamically allocated structs from the heap just as it does statically allocated hard coded structs. Pass struct pointers if you like.

You run into some issues passing any struct or class that is not POD between DLLs, but regular structs with nothing but data members are fine. Just use a pointer to the struct as the previous poster mentioned. If you need the structs to contain methods, then it becomes a little less desirable, although it's still certainly do-able by using dll exporting / importing.