Is there any formal and direct interaction between Designer and end-player??

Started by
11 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 8 months ago
Is there any formal and direct interaction between Designer and end player is there in video gaming industry ?.If so, can any one explain me how the relation works in the industry ? This is all about an idea of creating a community and process between Design team and end user/player in order capture the feedback formal way on released games and demos. This data can be helpful to maintain the history of ideas shared by players and their feelings and game play experiances and this data can be used along with sales history during analysis of concept/ idea. Also can be useful to take the game design in very different angle. There are other ideas of formalizing the feedback templates depends up on the game genere and type. Any comments are welcome.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by rajamohanareddy
Is there any formal and direct interaction between Designer and end player is there in video gaming industry ?

No. There isn't any formal direct interaction, as a rule.
User-to-company feedback is usually obtained through customer support or marketing research or forum posts or beta testing.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[Edited by - Awoken on September 15, 2009 7:12:20 PM]
Thanks for your replies.
I am game designer and programmer also know bit about CRM module. With my experiance and exposure in the gaming industry, I have started doing some research on adopting CRM to Gaming Industry across the game process model
"Design->Develop/create->QA/Compliance->Production/Publish->Distribute ->Sales /Marketing->Post-Sales Support ".

In the process of it currently I am at Game Design phase. Looking at advantages of GameDesigner & Player interaction immediate after POC/Demo and post game release. The collected,formulated and stored feedback/suggetions definitely helps different designers to know the pulse of the player and will help future game design. The data base can be used along with sales data as a deciding factors to produce games as well. It may also helps designer to think new sort of games to exceed the expectations of the player.

This type of feed back is very helpful to the games being delivered in intervals ( Online games & Multiplayer Online Games) to design next game level/ interval.

Any comments are welcome.
The collected,formulated and stored feedback/suggetions definitely helps different designers to know the pulse of the player and will help future game design. The data base can be used along with sales data as a deciding factors to produce games as well. It may also helps designer to think new sort of games to exceed the expectations of the player.

This type of feed back is very helpful to the games being delivered in intervals ( Online games & Multiplayer Online Games) to design next game level/ interval.

So you are advertising your new business idea, is that the purpose of this thread?

...I have started doing some research on adopting CRM to Gaming Industry across the game process model
"Design->Develop/create->QA/Compliance->Production/Publish->Distribute ->Sales /Marketing->Post-Sales Support ".

In the process of it currently I am at Game Design phase. Looking at advantages of GameDesigner & Player interaction immediate after POC/Demo and post game release. The collected,formulated and stored feedback/suggetions definitely helps different designers to know the pulse of the player and will help future game design.

In my opinion, QA and compliance needs to be involved with the design. They should by no means drive the design, but they need to support designers on common pitfalls and problems or holes in the design. In addition I think focus testing is more important during production (develop/create phase), as it can indicate issues with the game to the designers when they still have time to fix it, and give them a better idea of what sort of expansions they might want to do with the game (if you don't have a plan for expansion before your game ships, you're not going to get it out fast enough for players to care).

This end-user/designer interaction is done on a team by team basis (even within the same company), and some companies don't use it at all. Having taken part in many focus tests at work, 90% of the feedback you get is garbage (and mostly contradictory), so I find that it's best to watch the users play, see what they have trouble with and don't have knee-jerk reactions to every little complaint, but rather look for trends between different players.

Tom & dashurc,Thanks for your response. This thread is to understand how my efforts and ideas will benefit the industry. It is not an advertisement, but to understand all experts' views on my idea to move forward.
Tom & dashurc,Thanks for your response. This thread is to understand how my efforts and ideas will benefit the industry. It is not an advertisement, but to understand all experts' views on my idea to move forward.

And your idea is for the game publisher to be able to collect user feedback immediately after playing (or while playing) an online game, and direct that feedback to the designers of that game?

Tom, exactly and it is part of my whole idea. Not only online gamer, but all types of games what ever. As we all know after buying a game, if the game is not met the player's nominal expectation there will be a frustation/disappointment at gamer's side at it may damage relation. Though it is difficult to meet everybody's imagination and expectations, but we can meet some considerable % of player's expectation to make a profitable game. My steps are initial steps of my idea to move forward.
Tom, exactly and it is part of my whole idea. Not only online gamer, but all types of games what ever. As we all know after buying a game, if the game is not met the player's nominal expectation there will be a frustation/disappointment at gamer's side at it may damage relation. Though it is difficult to meet everybody's imagination and expectations, but we can meet some considerable % of player's expectation to make a profitable game. My steps are initial steps of my idea to move forward.

This is a business practice that a publisher may or may not want to engage in, and if they want to engage in it, they don't need to pay an external company to handle it for them.
As I previously said, they either pay marketing research companies and conduct focus testing, or get some beta testers, or simply monitor the chat rooms.
It's not difficult to gather end user feedback on a game. When I was at Activision, I collected my own end user feedback to inform my sequels.
So I don't think there's much of a business here for you, unless you want to pursue the marketing research angle or something.

Besides, why is this in the Game Design forum? It's not a game design question; more of a business / marketing topic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement