Sign in to follow this  

Idea for the game

This topic is 3033 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have an idea for a game which I can not make by my self (too big and hollywood looking in my head). I wanted to lay it here to see what you think if this stuff is any good. rpg game idea (in short) ((it came out quite long in fact)) background: in medieval kingdom, an earthquake awakens long forgotten dragon from his 1000 year sleep under the mountain (I like the scene with the cave and the rock and the eye opens on the rock revealing actually the head of the dragon). This dragon is more then sheep eating beast (although he likes the good snacks), and his awakening dark powers start attracting all sorts of evil creatures under the earth: orcs, goblins, giants and such. peaceful kingdom is not aware of new passages under the mountain growing with evil dwellers, until too late (we can see a movie scene with local tavern drunk humans laughing at the scared peasant describing the beast that took his sheep last night). And then, after hell unleashes on nearby towns and dragon's army struck with initiative and element of surprise, all must answer the kings call to the final battle, even our young village boy (soon to be the hero). And this is where our story begins... intro: Human army gathered on the hill, facing the evil horde in the valley under the mountain. Our village boy is there with his father and grandfather, obviously scared. In the spectacular scene of the full frontal attack (infantry running down the hill), ground collapses under the soldiers weight revealing clever spike traps all around under the battle field. Our boy is seen to fall into one of those him self, swallowed by the ground. While the earth and darkness closes around him, he can see fire balls cross the sky like meteor swarm, and cries of dying humans in the tragic defeat before the battle even begun... game: so it starts under the battle field, sounds of dying battle still rattling above, where young village boy discovers he missed all the nasty spikes and ended up with few bruises. He has found him self in the net of underground passages and caves under the valley and can't go back up. All around, his less fortunate comrades are dead impaled (he can pick pocket them here of course). But he has no time for mourning, he is not alone here, around the corner comes goblin patrol, they are pulling the cart with dead soldiers yelling "bring out your dead!" and laughing. If they are here, then there must be a way out of here. He waits until they are gone, and goes where they came from. Sneaking among the spike traps, he can find few more that are not quite dead. He can revive some of them with healing potion, and they can join his party. Id propose dwarf cleric to be one of them, who knows the king personally, and that can be revealed later. Underground passages lead to the mountain, and then way up, level by level, up to the dragons cave. They are actually passable, because most of the minions are out in the battle field. There is still plenty enough to fight, gain experience, reach higher level, confidence, magic items (dragons treasury is deeper in the mountain, so actually along your way to the dragon), interesting NPC characters / new party members (what are they doing in the dragons mountain?), and Id suggest even the way out before you get to the dragon, so leaving the mountain and going home (with that big gem you found along the way that dragon praises so much) could be an option instead of facing the dragon. But killing the dragon would disperse his army, and bring peace back to your land. So its quite straight forward, you can't go anywhere you want, you need to find way out, its full of traps and riddles, can't solve everything with hack and slash, you got to find the key for the door, wherever it is, you don't even know if some of the keys you found along the way could maybe open them. To open special dragons rooms, like treasury, you need to place riddle object in the nische, like a password, and things like that. etc. etc. what do you think?

Sounds like an idea for a movie... not so much a game.

You need to give more details about the gameplay. What sort of game is this? First person? Third person? Action or Turn Based? RTS? 3D or 2D? Having most of the game take place inside of a mountain might get boring. How old is the hero character? You say he is a boy... does that mean he's 10? 15? 8? Is it necessary that the hero is a boy? Why not a girl? Hasn't the father son grandfather story been done to death by now? Why are there tunnels and puzzles hidden underground? What use would monsters have for riddles and puzzles anyway? They'd more likely just guard whatever treasures they have with brute strength.

What is the motivation for the hero to go after treasures when he's running for his life and trying to defeat a dragon. Not much purpose in gold at that point. This game seems pretty mature also, with people being gored on spikes and goblins laughing about it... is your intended audience only adult males? That's what it feels like. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but you're going to be leaving out a lot of people by doing so. It's not impossible to have a wider intended audience, you just have to do things a little differently. Lord of the Rings managed to do a good job at pulling in not only the adult/teen male crowd, but also a lot of females and even kids and the older adults who aren't really into dragons and trolls.

The story so far sounds nice, but as already mentioned, it is unclear what the gameplay is about ? At first reading I thought about a RPG with a hero at the end killing the dragon, but this just doesn't match your story.

Well, I could imagine a game like half-life, a story driven (fps) adventure. This would best fit your description so far, is this your goal ?

If you want to target a rpg you should consider an other character. In games like dungeon master where you start in the dungeon to destroy the chaoslord you start with a group of heroes which get better over time, but they are still heroes and not just a little child. Here I could imagine a retired hero who has to find back to his old shape (like this cliche retired cop movies).

Your game has a very short timescale (the duration of one battle), in which it is unbelievable, that a unexperiented child will kill a mighty dragon. Even in movies of a supernatural gifted child who will save the world, the child has to learn to control his gifts.

But hey, I like the core of the story, stick to it, tweak it, add some gameplay and it could evolve to something quite interesting :)

--
Ashaman

Great comments, thanks.
As for the game play, I like First Person RPGs, but every game can have several camera modes today. But Im not mentioning game dynamics purposely because at this point im only interested in your opinion about the background story.
If you have had seen this intro would you play on? Not want people to comment: "i don't like turn based games" or like that.

I like the motivation question, why would boy want to kill the dragon or pile gold? Well, at first, primary motivation is just to get out. Idea about killing dragon could be presented later after player reaches higher level (and confidence).

Boy, girl, 8, 15, 80, don't care, I don't think games should make things believable. Movies and books yes, very much, but games no. In most RPGs players go from level 1 to 50 in 80 days. It's not real, and it shouldn't be real. There are games without timeline, day/night cycle, you just go hack around till you are most powerful in the world. They only need one thing - goal to get you moving.

However, I was thinking it would take few more days then one battle day.

"Hasn't the father son grandfather story been done to death by now?" as long as its not happened in this years biggest game release, im ok with it :)

"What use would monsters have for riddles and puzzles anyway?" Actually I have an answer on this one, it is contained in this line: "This dragon is more then sheep eating beast". When the dragon goes to sleep, he does not want to put 5 goblins guard the door to his treasure room (or bathroom) because they will die in 50 years (shorter if not provided with catering). Iron golems are better, but still killable by party of adventurers. Locks pickable. Traps? Annoying if have to be enabled disabled all the time. So the best solution for the ancient dragon (who likes the riddles of course), is all of the aforementioned + some magic passwords in the form of riddles. Every login has password security question these days, its a good idea. "What was the name of your first dog?"

These are dragon's passages. He doesn't want all of his minions be able to walk in everywhere. Simple combination locks would stop all but those who know the combination, so he can assign important orc people with combination to enter private areas, etc...

""Hasn't the father son grandfather story been done to death by now?" as long as its not happened in this years biggest game release, im ok with it :)"

ok, i just saw two biggest mmorpg trailers world of warcraft and guildwars - both having awakening dragon plot! Don't you just hate when that happens? It was my idea first!!! and no one believes you...

Quote:
Original post by Petar Titelski
ok, i just saw two biggest mmorpg trailers world of warcraft and guildwars - both having awakening dragon plot! Don't you just hate when that happens? It was my idea first!!! and no one believes you...

You're being sarcastic right. That particular idea has been done times and times before ( For example ). It was my idea first means nothing even if it was, which most times it wasn't.

Besides, since they already have a trailer and an implemented game, it is a safe bet they have actually thought about it before you.

Regarding your game concept, I don't want to sound mean, but it doesn't excite me one bit. Looks very much cliche. Predictable and Bland. But, hey, the Wow trailer also looked very much bland and uninteresting, at least to me. I saw it and thought: "OMG, Again?". They did however have solid music and production. And a finished game ...

Just start working on your game, you'll come up with something, perhaps something entirely different. Hey, did you know Quake was supposed to be an RPG at first. Just go and start working on it.

This topic is 3033 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.