FREE sound pack library from Serious Sam aka John Dick

Started by
3 comments, last by johnjdick 14 years, 7 months ago
Hey everyone! We're doing our part to help out financially struggling voice actor John Dick, who did the voice work for Serious Sam. John will be putting together a pack of various audio barks, including stuff he's considering like "grunts, pain, jump, falling, etc., as well as maybe a few generic small voice quotes ("game over" and suchlike)." This will be a free pack of sounds for you to use in your game, and John hopes you'll consider his services for other projects as well. You can check out his site Violence Media for more information. If anyone has suggestions for John on what to record, speak up here! We'll be updating when the pack is available for download.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
This is excellent! I think this will be a valuable resource for many.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

John J Dick here. I'm the guy who will be recording the voice packs.

@nsmadsen- That was my thinking, as well, that this could be an invaluable free resource for budding game developers. Help out the little guy when he's starting out, and he'll pass along to a new generation the favor when he becomes successful.

Not to mention, this does give some exposure to my own budding business. It seems like a win win all around; provide free help to those who need it, cheap voice acting to those who want it and also, give myself some exposure to help land the bigger contracts when they're available.

If there is a positive response to this, I'll try to release a new voice pack every couple weeks. First one will be basic sounds, of course. After that, I'll likely do a theme with each release... feedback and suggestions are always appreciated.

I should also add that these voice packs are going to be completely free of restriction public domain, use them however you want. You don't even have to credit me (though it would be nice of you to do so).
Hey John, thanks for helping the community out! :) I was wondering about this statement however:

Quote:Original post by johnjdick
Not to mention, this does give some exposure to my own budding business.
[...]
You don't even have to credit me (though it would be nice of you to do so).

Don't you think it's counter-productive to let your work be used without giving you credit in order to get yourself some exposure?

I'll of course mention your name, when using this, was just wondering!

I guess you could see it as counter productive. I just think it's silly to credit someone for a few grunts. I'll just leave it up to the developer if they want to credit me or not. I think people demand credit for some silly things, sometimes. I just can't bring myself to be that anal retentive.

I once saw a &#106avascript code snippet for an image rollover, that had a comment with the script authour's name and "text must be included if script is used", or somesuch disclaimer. I mean... isn't that embarrassing? Your skillz are so weak sauce that you feel you need credit for an image rollover?<br><br>Demanding credit for 'grunting in pain' would be the voice acting equivalent to that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement