.spr files in Dark Colony

Started by
7 comments, last by maxtory 14 years, 8 months ago
Recently I found very old RTS with awesome graphics - Dark Colony released in 1997. There are 2 folders with sprites: game files and encycl files. I'd like to use BIG ones (from encyclopedia) as reference material modelling. How can I open Sprite .SPR files? I have tried with some HL sprite viewers such as "HL sprite viewer" and "sprite explorer" but failed. p.s.3ds max, corel, illustrator, photoshop - failed.
Advertisement
I've used Pro Motion for .spr files. There's a trial version there you can download to see if it works.
Nope :(
one of sprites: http://www.sendspace.com/file/lfoam7
Its liable to be a custom in-house format for the sprite. This was also encountered inside Activision's Netstorm which used custom file formats, making things complicated for anyone attempting to develop it further.
There's a good chance then that it's a custom format. Try changing some bytes and see what effect that has - once you spot some patterns, you may be able to figure out the layout of the format.

That, or perhaps there's some fan sites out there with people that did some modding.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
I tried unsuccessfully to change file format and how I should change some bytes?

I think that it can be in-house format, but i'm sure that it can be open because game was relesead more then 12 years ago
Quote:Original post by maxtory
I tried unsuccessfully to change file format and how I should change some bytes?

Look up on 'hex editors'.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
maybe i'm a noobie in hex editing, but i have done nothing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement